Professor Lorenzo Fioramonti
Lorenzo Fioramonti (@lofioramonti) is Full Professor of Political Economy at the University of Pretoria (South Africa), where he directs the Centre for the Study of Governance Innovation (www.governanceinnovation.org), and Deputy Project Leader of the Future Africa initiative. He is also Extraordinary Professor at the School of Public Leadership of the University of Stellenbosch, Senior Fellow at the Centre for Social Investment of the University of Heidelberg and at the Hertie School of Governance (Germany) and Associate Fellow at the United Nations University. Lorenzo is the first and only Jean Monnet Chair in Africa, a prestigious recognition awarded by the European Commission to distinguished academics, and also holds the UNESCO-UNU Chair in Regional Integration, Migration and Free Movement of People. In 2012, he received the UP Exceptional Young Researcher Award and in 2014 he became the first president of the European Union Studies Association of Sub-Saharan Africa. He is the author of over 60 scientific articles and 10 books. His most recent books are Wellbeing Economy: Success in a World Without Growth (MacMillan 2017) and The World After GDP: Economics, Politics and International Relations in the Post-Growth Era (Polity 2017). Lorenzo’s research interests range from alternative economic paradigms to the governance of the commons, global political innovations and new forms of supranational regionalism. His opinion pieces have been published, among others, by The New York Times, The Guardian, Foreign Policy, Harvard Business Review, TruthOut, Die Presse, The Conversation, Das Parlament, Der Freitag, The Mail&Guardian and www.opendemocracy.net. He has a monthly column in Business Day, South Africa’s foremost daily financial newspaper. He blogs at www.lorenzofioramonti.org and he is a sought-after public speaker on issues regarding new economic paradigms, rethinking development and responsible business. His work is endorsed by acclaimed authors such as Richard Wilkinson, Kate Pickett, Raj Patel, Vandana Shiva, Susan George, Richard Heinberg, Johan Galtung and leading economists like Robert Costanza, Enrico Giovannini and Tim Jackson. He is the founder of the Action Research Network for a Wellbeing Economy in Africa (WE-Africa, www.we-africa.org) and a member of the Alliance for Sustainability and Prosperity (www.asap4all.org).
(International) political economy, governance, metrics of progress, regional economic integration, global and regional trade, sustainable development.
In referred, peer-reviewed academic journals:
- 2017: Fioramonti, L., Costanza, R., et al. ‘Twenty Years of Ecosystem Services: How Far Have We Come and How Far Do We Still Need to Go?’, Ecosystem Services, 28: 1-16 [SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 1.935; Impact Factor: 4.072; 5-Year Impact Factor: 5.866 ].
- 2017: Fioramonti, L. ‘South Africa’s Perceptions of the EU in Energy Governance: A Partner in Decline?’, Comparative European Politics, 15(1): 99-114.
- 2016: Fioramonti, L., Costanza, R., et al. ‘Measuring Sustainable Wellbeing in Connection with the UN Sustainable Development Goals’, Ecological Economics, 130: 350-355. [SCImago Journal Rank (SJR): 1.733; Impact Factor: 3.227; 5-Year Impact Factor: 4.227 ].
- 2016: Fioramonti, L. and Mattheis, F., ‘Is Africa Really Following Europe? An Integrated Framework for Comparative Regionalism’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 54 (3): pp. 674–690. [Impact Factor: 1.83; ISI Journal Citation Report Ranking: 2015: 12/86 (International Relations); 25/163 (Political Science); 61/344 (Economics); ISSN: 1468-5965].
- 2016: Fioramonti, L. ‘Post-GDP World? Rethinking International Politics in the 21st Century’, Global Policy, 7 (1): 15-24. [ISI Journal Citation Reports Ranking: 2015: 42/86; Impact Factor: 0.837; IBSS Journal; ISSN: 1758-5899].
- 2015: Fioramonti, L. and Kononykhina, O., ‘Measuring the Enabling Environment of Civil Society: A Global Capability Index,’ VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 26 (2): 466-487. [ISI Social Sciences Citation Index; Impact Factor: .881 2012; IBSS Journal; ISSN 0957-8765].
- 2015: Fioramonti, L., Slippers, B. and Vogel, C. ‘Global Trends and Opportunities for Development of African Research Universities’, South African Journal of Science 111 (1-2): 1-4.
- 2014: Fioramonti, L. and Nshimbi, C. ‘The Will to Integrate: South Africa’s Responses to Regional Migration from the SADC Region’, African Development Review 26 (1): 52-63. [ISI Social Sciences Citation Index; Impact Factor: .633; IBSS Journal; ISSN 1467-8268].
- 2014: Fioramonti, L. ‘The World’s Most Powerful Number: An Assessment of 80 Years of GDP Ideology,’ Anthropology Today 30 (2): 12-15.
- 2014: Fioramonti, L. ‘Africa Rising? Think Again,’ Perspectives: Political Analyses and Commentary', 1 (February 2014): 6-9.
Refereed working papers and reports
2015: Fioramonti, L. ‘We Can’t Eat GDP! Global Trends on Alternative Indicators’, Global Trends Prospects for World Society. Available online: http://www.global-trends.info/fileadmin/Globale-Trends/beitraege_kapitel/fioramonti.pdf
2014: Fioramonti, L. ‘How Moving Beyond GDP May Help Fight Poverty in Africa’, CROP Policy Brief, October 2014. Available online: www.crop.org/viewfile.aspx?id=582
2014: Fioramonti, L. ‘The Evolution of Supranational Regionalism: From Top-Down Regulatory Governance to Sustainability Regions?’, UNU-CRIS Working Paper, W-2014-2. Available online: http://www.cris.unu.edu/fileadmin/workingpapers/W-2014-2__revised_.pdf
- 2013: Fioramonti, L and Nshimbi, C. ‘A region without Borders? Policy Frameworks for Regional Labour Migrations Towards South Africa,’ miworc Research Report 1. Available online: http://www.miworc.org.za/docs/miworc-Report-1.pdf
- 2012: Fioramonti, L. ‘Human Security? The Weaknesses of the EU’s Involvement in Human Rights Crises’, EU-GRASP Policy Paper, March 2012, Brugge: United Nations University.
2017: Fioramonti, L. Wellbeing Economy: Success in a World Without Growth, Johannesburg and New York: MacMillan, 2017 (paperback).
2017: Fioramonti, L. The World After GDP. Economics, Politics and International Relations in the Post-Growth Era, Cambridge: Polity Bookss, 2017 (paperback).
- 2016: Fioramonti, L., Scholte, J.A. and Nhema, A. (eds) New Rules for Global Justice: Structural Redistribution in the Global Economy, Lanham and London: Rowman and Littlefield. Paperback.
- 2014: Fioramonti, L. How Numbers Rule the World: The Use and Abuse of Statistics in Global Politics, London: Zed Books.
- 2013: Fioramonti, L. & Thuemler, E. (eds.) Civil Society and World Regions: How Citizens Are Reshaping Regional Governance in Times of Crisis, Lanham: Lexington.
- 2013: Fioramonti, L and Thuemler, E. (eds) Citizens vs. Markets: How Civil Society Is Rethinking the Economy in a Time of Crises, London: Routledge.
- 2013:Fioramonti, L. Gross Domestic Problem. The Politics Behind the World’s Most Powerful Number, London: Zed Books.
Chapters in books
- 2016: Fioramonti, L. ‘Horizontal Economy: How Africa Can Build a Thriving Economy in the 21st Century’, in Gumede, V. (ed.) The Great Recession and Its Implications for Human Values: Lessons for Africa, Johannesburg: MISTRA.
- 2016: Fioramonti, L. ‘Beyond GDP: A Green Economy Dashboard for South Africa’, in Swilling, M., Kaviti-Musango, J. and WAkeford, J. (eds) Greening the South African Economy, Cape Town: University of Cape Town Press.
- 2016: Fioramonti, L. & Nhema, A. 'Governance Innovation: Enabling Collective Action for Structural Redistribution’, in Fioramonti, L., Scholte, J.A. and Nhema, A. (eds) New Rules for Global Justice: Structural Redistribution in the Global Economy, Lanham and London: Rowman and Littlefield.
- 2015: Fioramonti, L. & Kotsopoulos, J. ‘EU-Africa Interregional Relations and the Role of South Africa’, in M. Telo, L. Fawcett and F. Ponjaert (eds), Interregionalism and the European Union: A Post-Revisionist Approach to Europe’s Place in a Changing World, Farnham: Ashgate, 2015.
- 2014: Fioramonti, L. ‘The Role of Civil Society in (Re)Shaping World Regions’, in L. Fioramonti (ed.) Civil Society and World Regions: How Citizens Are Reshaping Regional Governance in Times of Crisis, Lanham: Lexington, 2014.
- 2014: Fioramonti, L.'The European Union Promoting Development in Africa: the Economic Partnership Agreements as a Case of Aggressive Multilateralism', in C. Bouchard, J. Peterson and N. Tocci (eds.), Multilateralism in the 21st Century: Europe’s Quest for Effectiveness, London: Routledge, 2013.
- 2013: Fioramonti, L. 'The European Union Promoting Human Rights and Democracy in Africa’, in T. Murithi (ed.), Handbook of Africa’s International Relations, London: Routledge.
- 2013: Fioramonti, L. 'The European Union Promoting Development in Africa: the Economic Partnership Agreements as a Case of Aggressive Multilateralism', in C. Bouchard, J. Peterson and N. Tocci (eds.), Multilateralism in the 21st Century: Europe’s Quest for Effectiveness, London: Routledge.
Share this page
Last edited by Zaphesheya DlaminiEdit