The departmental teaching slogan is respect, engage, monitor.
We want to train our students to be well-balanced autonomous thinkers who continuously question their role and responsibility as human beings in an ever-changing reality.
This implies that our teaching is:
- Challenging, supportive and rigorous
- Text driven – students read primary texts (with exposition) from first year
- Skills-driven – we support an integrated skills approach where critical thinking, reading and writing skills are practised during weekly tutorials
- Application driven – students are continuously led to apply their skills and knowledge to real world problems.
Our students are able to:
- Read with understanding
- Articulate and critically reflect on existing knowledge and new ideas
- Write their own original work logically and coherently
- Reason and argue in an autonomous manner
- Solve complex problems through analysis and synthesis of arguments
- Apply their knoweldge to real world problems
- Respect the rigour of philosophical work.