Position, academic & professional qualifications
Ms Nthope Mapefane is a lecturer in the Department Mercantile Law and holds the degrees BCom Law (Pret), LLB (Pret), LLM (Air and Space Law) (Pret). She also studied BSc Actuarial Science (UCT). She is a doctoral candidate (LLD), and her thesis focuses on 'The accountability and immunity of African International Organizations'.
Academic and professional experience
Nthope is a qualified South African corporate lawyer, specialising in Competition Law, Financial Regulatory Compliance, Mining and Labour law. She completed her articles at Werksmans Attorneys in 2010, and became a junior associate. In 2012, she joined Bidvest Bank’s Legal compliance and Credit analysis team. Thereafter, she was appointed as a Legal and Policy Researcher at the International Development Law Unit, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, in 2015-2018. In 2018, she was appointed as research consultant for the World Bank, Washington D.C, to analyse the Internal Accountability Mechanisms of International Financial Institutions. She joined the Department of Mercantile at University of Pretoria as a Lecturer in 2019.
Subjects she is teaching include Business Law, and Transnational Business Law.
Areas of specialisation
Her main areas of interest are:
- Transnational Business Law,
- African Economic Relations,
- Legal issues related to Universal and Regional International Organisations, and
- Finance and Human Rights
Recent Representative Publications (2019)
- “International Financial Regulatory and Responsibility Standards and their Implication for South Africa’s Financial System”, (co-authored with Daniel Bradlow, University of Pretoria), forthcoming publication in textbook, International Economic Law, A South African perspective 2019)
Recent Papers (2018)
- “Holding International Organisations accountable for human rights violation of third party victims: An African perspective.” African Forum for Doctoral Research in Human Rights (AfriDoors), Nairobi (Kenya) 27-31 August 2018.
Tel: +27 (0)12 420 4304
E-mail: [email protected]
Full curriculum vitae