Information Specialist for Theology and Religion Studies, contributes to Psalms: Books 4-5, Volume 22 of the Wisdom commentary

Posted on November 17, 2020

Ms Christine Nel, Information Specialist for Theology and Religion Studies, contributed to Psalms: Books 4-5, Volume 22 of the Wisdom commentary. This book was published by the Liturgical Press in October 2020, with a reflection on Psalm 100.  The commentary was compiled under the supervision of the world-renowned editor, Nancy L. deClaissé-Walford, an American Theologian and specialist in the Hebrew language, Biblical studies and on the book of Psalms.

This commentary differs to others like it in that deClaissé-Walford was assigned to write 75 percent of the commentary and incorporate other voices for the remaining 25 percent. These voices are rarely if ever, included in a scholarly commentary on a Biblical book.  Christine was recruited in 2018 by Prof. Human, Head of Department of the Old Testament and Hebrew Scriptures for this project.

“This commentary on Psalms, Books 4-5 provides a feminist interpretation of Scripture in serious, scholarly engagement with the whole text, not only those texts that explicitly mention women. It addresses not only issues of gender but also those of power, authority, ethnicity, racism, and classism."—Liturgical Press.

Christine’s contribution has focused on the call in Psalm 100 to everyone on earth to make a joyful noise to the Lord.  Her reflection places emphasis on the storyline of this Psalm through a critically feminist lens, influenced by her upbringing against oppression, weakness and repression. She also highlights the to understand the Bible in a way that is sensitive to the complexities of race, focusing on the voices of the marginalised and emphasising the fact that as long as there is racism and sexism, no part of creation can be truly free to “make a joyful noise” to the Lord. 

- Author Ms Christine Nel
Published by Kelly Liebenberg

Copyright © University of Pretoria 2020. All rights reserved.

FAQ's Email Us Virtual Campus Share Cookie Preferences