About this Fellowship
An Early-Career Research Fellowship is being initiated by the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA), with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, to support a total of thirteen (13) Early-Career Research Fellows to undertake globally competitive research at the ARUA Centres of Excellence (CoEs). The goal is to strengthen the capacity of early-career researchers at African universities by giving them time away from teaching responsibilities at their home institutions while working with very senior and accomplished researchers. Each CoE is expected to host one research fellow from a country other than where the CoE is located.
This Early Career Research Fellowship is expected to last for a period of 12 months. During this period, prospective research fellows are expected to stay at the hub university of the respective CoE and conduct research related to their existing projects. Successful candidates may also explore new lines of research with the approval of the Centre’s Director. Prospective candidates are encouraged to visit the ARUA website (www.arua.org.za) as well as those of the 13 CoEs to familiarise themselves with their ongoing research projects.
• Applicants must have a PhD and be within 5 years of completing their PhD in a discipline/sub-discipline related to the thematic area of the relevant Centre of Excellence.
• Applicants should be faculty members at an ARUA University.
• Applicants should have a highly competitive track record relevant to the opportunity (at least one publication in an internationally recognized peer-reviewed journal since completing their PhD or evidence of obtaining post-doctoral funding).
• Applicants should exhibit interest in developing a strong international standing and research reputation through international collaborations.
• Applicants must be available to spend 12 months away from their home university and be able to return to the home institution.
• Eligible women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
To apply for this research fellowship, please submit the following documents:
• Curriculum Vitae.
• Statement of Purpose (500 words).
• Names and addresses of two academic referees.
• Letter of support from applicant’s permanent/home institution.
The selection of the successful Candidate shall be done by the respective Centre Director and in consultation with the host institution Deputy Vice-Chancellor. Applications should be submitted by email to the Secretary-General of ARUA ([email protected]; [email protected]) not later than 15th June 2021. Successful candidates shall be contacted before August 2021 and expected to begin the fellowship in October 2021.