The University previously had a facility available for students to apply for a data bundle to be loaded by one of the Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) onto a Vodacom, MTN, Telkom or Cell C number that students provided – and the cost of this data bundle was covered by the University. This earlier facility (now closed) is referred to below as “Data Bundle Offer 1”. And many thousands of students benefitted from this offer over the past weeks.
That said, UP is aware of a small number of students who had applied but where a particular MNO either rejected the number provided by students because it was deemed invalid on their network, or where the Mobile Operator had not yet completed the process to provide the requested data bundle. UP is still working with the operators to try and expedite these outstanding requests.
However, in light of the upcoming examinations, the University has decided to again assist students in need of data, so we have re-opened the facility to apply for a data bundle – this time enabling students to apply for “Data Bundle Offer 2”. As with the previous offer, the size of this data bundle varies slightly from mobile operator to mobile operator, but is typically for 20GB of data (10Gb Any Time and 10GB Night Time).
However, in order to be eligible for “Data Bundle Offer 2” you MUST log on as described below and provide the data requested. Consequently:
- Those who did NOT apply for “Data Bundle Offer 1” but now want to apply for “Data Bundle Offer 2”
- Must log on as described below and furnish UP with the data requested
- Those who previously applied for “Data Bundle Offer 1” (either successfully or unsuccessfully to date) and now want to apply for “Data Bundle Offer 2” must AGAIN log on and either:
- Confirm that their previously captured information is still valid and re-submit,
- If you want your data bundle sent elsewhere, update the previously provided information, and then re-submit these changes.
To apply for “Data Bundle Offer 2”, please:
- Log on via connect.up.ac.za. Select the icon labelled www.up.ac.za. Select the “My UP Login” link to log onto the UP Portal, or
- Go directly to www.up.ac.za and select the “My UP Login” link to log onto the UP Portal.
- From the portlets available to you in the UP Portal, click on the (green) “GO” button associated with the portlet titled “Student Centre”.
- Ensure that you land on, or navigate to, the (default) collection of tiles labelled “UP Student Self-Service”.
- Locate and click on the “tile” labelled “Data Bundle”.
- On this function, you will be asked to either enter, confirm or update:
- The name of the mobile service provider and the mobile number to which you want this data bundle loaded (namely Cell C, MTN, Telkom or Vodacom).
- The last 9 digits of the mobile number to which you want the data bundle sent.
- Confirm whether the number that you specified to receive the data bundle is also your normal contact mobile/cellular number on which UP can call or SMS you.
- Click Submit.
The first “batch” of numbers to be sent to the MNO for this “Data Bundle Offer 2” will be extracted and sent on the morning of Friday 26th June 2020. Consequently, you are urged to log on as soon as possible and specify the mobile number to which the data should be sent.
Thereafter, UP will periodically (e. every 4-5 days for the next while), combine all the newly added requests for “Data Bundle Offer 2” received from students and will forward this latest batch of numbers to the respective mobile operators.
The window of opportunity available to you to apply for this Data Bundle Offer 2 will not remain open indefinitely. It will stay open until Friday 3 July, but thereafter UP could elect to close this offer at any time.
- Regrettably, once this data has been sent by UP to the Mobile Network Operators, UP is dependent on the efficiency of the respective Operator in processing these requests – and so you should anticipate a lag time between your request being sent to the Operator and the data bundle being made available to you.
- This data bundle download facility is not available to persons who are either “Study Applicants” such as people who are not yet enrolled at UP, or students who are enrolled on any of UP’s Online Study programmes. Furthermore, data bundles cannot be requested for SIM cards not issued by one of the above-mentioned mobile operators – even if it is a non-SA SIM card that is connected via “roaming” to one of these mobile operators.
- If you happen to be in the fortunate position of already having access to adequate data through your home Wi-Fi, or have been authorised to move back into a UP Residence where adequate connectivity exists, then please do not request this data bundle.
- If you experience any problems, please contact the IT help desk at [email protected] / 012 420 3051 between 07:00 and 16:30. A standby service is available from 16:30 to 22:00.
- Reminder: Wherever possible, students are encouraged to make use of UP Connect (https://connect.up.ac.za) to access UP-related content with reduced data charges.
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App