Also consult the General Regulations G.16 to G.29.
The curriculum is determined in consultation with the relevant heads of departments. A student is required to pass modules to the value of at least 128 credits.
The degree is awarded on the basis of examinations only.
- BEng degree awarded by the University of Pretoria or equivalent degree or relevant four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering that the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) regards as acceptable for registration as a candidate engineer and for eventual registration as a professional engineer
- An entrance examination may be required
- Comprehensive intellectual CV
Other programme-specific information
All students must complete the module MSS 732 Research study 732.
A limited number of appropriate modules from other departments are allowed. Not all modules listed are presented each year. Please consult the postgraduate brochure found on the departmental website for further information.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examination in each module for which a student is registered, takes place during the normal examination period after the conclusion of lectures (i.e. October/November or May/June).
- A student registered for the honours degree must complete his or her studies within two years (full-time), or within three years (part-time) after first registration for the degree: Provided that the Dean, on recommendation of the relevant head of department, may approve a stipulated limited extension of this period.
- A student must obtain at least 50% in an examination for each module where no semester or year mark is required. A module may only be repeated once.
- In modules where semester or year marks are awarded, a minimum examination mark of 40% and a final mark of 50% is required.
- No supplementary or special examinations are granted at postgraduate level.
Pass with distinction
A student passes with distinction if he or she obtains a weighted average of at least 75% in the first 128 credits for which he or she has registered (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree is not awarded with distinction if a student fails any one module (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree must be completed within the prescribed study period.