This programme qualifies candidates for entry-level positions into the mass communications industries such as graphic design, branding and advertising as well as broadcast design. With a strong social underpinning, the programme incorporates design strategies, design applications and design products in print, ambient and screen-based media and technologies.
Closing date for applications: 30 June annually
- Candidates who achieved an APS of 30 in Grade 11 and comply with the minimum subject requirements and achievement levels of these study programmes will automatically be granted placement in the study programmes subject to the availability of space. The above-mentioned is not applicable to selection programmes.
- To retain admission learners will be expected to obtain an APS of at least 28 in Grade 12. Prospective students who have already been granted provisional admission in these study programmes but obtained at least an APS of 27 in Grade 12 will be considered by the Admission Committee should space be available. The Admission Committee of the Faculty of Humanities will consider these students once the results of the National Benchmark Test (NBT) are available and depending on the availability of space.
- The Faculty will assess satisfactory performance in the NBT in the light of its commitment to ensure that an appropriate proportion of the applicants will be drawn from the historically disadvantaged category of the population.
- Applicants with an APS of 30 but who do not comply with the subject requirements must write the NBT.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- An APS of 30 as well as Departmental selection is required for BA Information Design.
Minimum requirements for 2016
Afrikaans or English
Departmental selection is necessary prior to admission to this programme. Although Art as a Grade 12 subject is not a requirement, a candidate must be able to demonstrate his/her creative potential and commitment to the chosen field of study. Candidates are therefore required to submit a portfolio of work for a merit selection review and, if invited, undergo a series of tests and be interviewed by a selection committee. Contact the coordinator for more information. A student who chooses this programme must work in an appropriate design studio, approved by the coordinator, for at least six weeks during the third and fourth years.
Other programme-specific information
Students who are deemed NOT to be at risk of their level of academic literacy, are exempted from ALL 110 and ALL 125.
Promotion to next study year
##Promotion to the second year of study
Pass: IOW 100, ILL 101, VKK 111, 121 and 123.
##Promotion to the third year of study
Pass: IOW 200, VKK 211,221,222.
##Promotion to the fourth year of study
Pass: IOW 300, VKK 311, 321 and 322.
##The Dean may approve exceptions to these requirements on the recommendation of the head of the department.
Pass with distinction
The degree is awarded with distinction to a candidate who obtains at least 75% in IOW 400 and VKK 402.