The VDG has a strong experimental focus and capability, both for laboratory and field testing. Testing capabilities range from laboratory tests on individual components upto full vehicle systems tested on the proving ground and under realistic operating conditions. Experimental data is used extensively to develop and validate models of vehicles and components.
Tyre tests using servo-hydraulic actuators, digital image Tyre tests on rough terrain using tyre test trailer
correlation and scanning laser vibrometry
Wheel force transducer measuring forces and moment Lateral force tests using tyre test trailer
between tyre and terrain
Our range of equipment includes:
- Laboratory data acquisition systems (computer systems and peripherals)
- Schenck hydropulse actuators ranging from 40 kN to 630 kN capacity
- Electrodynamic shakers
- Seismic isolated block
- Scanning laser vibrometers
- Data acquisitioning systems for field use
- Instrumented Land Rover Defender 110 test platform fitted with controllable suspension, rear wheel steering, active anti-roll bar, actuators for control of gear shifting, steering (front and rear), brakes, clutch, and throttle
- Tyre testers
- Road profilometers including lasers
- Field test equipment
- Instrumentation including, Accelerometers, GPS, Gyroscopes, Displacement transducers, Pressure transducers, Speed sensors (engine speed, driveshaft speeds, wheel speeds), Wheel force transducers, Load cells, Tyre slip angle sensor.
- Inertial measurement units
- Stereo vision systems
- Moments of inertia test rig
We aslo do extensive modeling and simulation using commercial codes including ADAMS, Matlab, Simulink, Nastran, SimXpert and SolidWorks. Extensive C++ code is developed in-house for embedded control and digital image correlation applications.