SAWIP annually inspires, develops and supports diverse groups of young South African leaders who have a history of serving others with humility and integrity and ambition to be active citizens and servant leaders. Through a richly varied program of service activities and hands-on leadership opportunities as well as skills development, these leaders establish a trust based on shared experience with their SAWIP recruits emerging leaders across all disciplines and differences in South Africa from the universities of Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, Stellenbosch and the Western Cape. The selected 20 team members participate in a demanding seven-month development experience which includes community engagement and six-week global and professional exposure program in Washington, DC.
Applicants can find the link to the form here.
Applicants are able to prepare their answers ahead of time by reading through and downloading the Application Instruction Document.
- May be from any academic discipline
- Must be South African citizens or permanent residents
- Must be in their second year (or beyond) of university
- Must be prepared for a high demand programme
- Must be available to participate in the international component of the program from 16 June to 29 July 2018
- Must be between the age of 19 – 25 years
- Must be currently studying at the University of Cape Town, the University of Johannesburg, the University of Stellenbosch, the University of Pretoria or the University of the Western Cape
- Must have a record of community engagement and leadership, with a strong service ethic
- Should envisage themselves as future leaders in South Africa
Please check out their website for more information on the general program.
To learn more about SAWIP from their alumni perspective, log onto the Team of 2017’s blogs.
You can also follow them on Twitter, on Facebook or Instagram. If you or a potential applicant have any queries please contact: [email protected] or +27218089420