The veterinary clinics run by the Small Animal Medicine Section include:
- Outpatient’s clinic – Veterinary care for local clients with routine or emergency problems
- Small Animal Medicine clinic – Specialist veterinary care for both local and referred cases
- Intensive Care Unit – Specialist physician intensive care and monitoring of critical patients
- Onderstepoort Behavioural Clinic – Specialist behavioural consultation for patients
- Chemotherapy Unit – Veterinary patient cancer care
- Onderstepoort Blood Bank Services – A blood bank service for small animal veterinary patients, provided by locally and nationally
Veterinary staff are able to utilise the wide-range of facilities, diagnostics, expertise and treatment modalities at this institution which results in a high standard of care and treatment for the veterinary patient. Digital radiography, ultrasonography, scintigraphy, computed tomography, endoscopy, bronchoscopy, BAER testing, MRI (outside hospital) and radiation therapy (outside hospital) amongst others are all available. All critical patients admitted to the intensive care unit are monitored 24-hours a day by our dedicated team.
Within the Department of Companion Companion Clinical Studies the Small Animal Medicine Section is involved in the training of students at an undergraduate and post-graduate level and it strives for excellence, understanding and a good-work ethic. Specialist physicians together with residents run the day-to-day activities of the clinics. Undergraduates are taught at a high level during their theoretical years and are then aided by a very hands-on approach during their clinical year. Honour programmes and specialist degrees are also available to post -graduates.
Members of the Section regularly give CE seminars to veterinarians in the various South African Veterinary Association (SAVA) regions. Outreach actions are carried out to disadvantaged communities. Members are also active in the various committees of SAVA and provide expert witness at Veterinary Council tribunals, thereby serving the profession through time and intellectual effort.