- The closing date is an administrative admission guideline for non-selection programmes. Once a non-selection programme is fulland has reached the institutional targets, then that programme will be closed for further admissions, irrespective of the closing date. However, if the institutional targets have not been met by the closing date, then that programme will remain open for admissions until the institutional targets are met.
- The following persons will be considered for admission: Candidates who are in possession of a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the required National Senior Certificate (NSC) with university endorsement; candidates who are graduates from another tertiary institution or have been granted the status of a graduate of such an institution, and candidates who are graduates of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- Grade 11 results are used for the conditional admission of prospective students.
- A valid qualification with admission to degree studies is required.
- Minimum subject and achievement requirements, as set out below, are required.
- All lectures at the University of Pretoria are presented in English only.
Candidates previously registered for the BSc – Extended programme
The Admissions Committee of the faculty considers applications of candidates who were previously registered for the BSc – Extended programme, on grounds of their NSC results as well as academic merit. Such students will only be considered for the four-year programme if they have passed all the prescribed modules and obtained a minimum of 65% in the Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry modules, respectively.
Candidates previously registered at UP or at another university
The faculty’s Admissions Committee considers applications of candidates who have already completed the final NSC examination and/or were previously registered at UP or at another university, on grounds of their NSC results as well as academic merit. Candidates who were dismissed from other faculties or universities will not be considered.
Candidates previously registered at a teacher’s college or university of technology
The faculty’s Admissions Committee considers the application of these candidates on the grounds of their NSC results as well as academic merit.
Qualifications from countries other than South Africa
- Citizens from countries other than South Africa and South African citizens with foreign qualifications must comply with all the other admission requirements and the prerequisites for subjects/modules.
- In addition to meeting the admission requirements, it may be expected from candidates to write the TOEFL, IELTS or SAT, if required.
- Candidates must have completed the National Senior Certificate with admission to degree studies or a certificate of conditional exemption on the basis of a candidate’s foreign qualifications, the so-called “Immigrant” or “Foreign Conditional Exemption”. The only condition for the “Foreign Conditional Exemption” that is accepted is: ‘completion of the degree course’. The exemption certificate is obtainable from Universities South Africa (USAf). Detailed information is available on the website at click here.
University of Pretoria website: click here
* Cambridge A level candidates who obtained at least a D in the required subjects, will be considered for admission.
* International Baccalaureate (IB) HL candidates who obtained at least a 4 in the required subjects, will be considered for admission.