The African continent has among the highest avian diversity in the world. We have established a multidisciplinary platform to explore factors affecting the health of selected avian species and to utilize cutting-edge methodologies to understand pathogen diversity and their significance. We are also exploring the role of birds as monitors of ecosystem health and how avian demography can be used to monitor the effects of climate change or anthropogenic impacts.
- African penguin health
- Epidemiology of haemoparasitism in African passerines
- Framework for evaluation of health of African raptors
- Antimicrobial resistance in African vultures
- Survey of raptor rehabilitation centres in southern Africa
- Avian demographic monitoring for ecosystem health