The curriculum for the PhD degree programme consists of the following:
- A theoretical knowledge of the major subject/s and such additional modules as may be prescribed (Animal science modules at 800-level).
- A thesis.
1. MScAgric (Animal Science) degree in relevant discipline or relevant master’s degree
2. At least 60% for the research component at master’s level
3. A copy of final masters dissertation may be required
4. A CV with contactable references may be required
5. An admission interview may be required
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.