The following requirements are set:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition, lectures and seminars.
- Students must pass the module TNM 700 Applied research methodology 700.
- Students must pass the module PHM 770 Learning in public health 770.
- Students must pass a research report (or project) that carries at least 30 credits.
1. Relevant bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree with at least one applicable biological subject as a major
2. A weighted average of at least 60% in the biological science subjects/modules at final-year level
Examinations and pass requirements
- The individual modules in each field of study must all be passed with a mark of at least 50% in each module, before a student may graduate in that field of study.
- Each field of study has a specified, externally moderated, summative assessment that must also be passed before the student may graduate.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the summative assessment, as well as an average of at least 75% for the remaining components of the curriculum (i.e. excluding the summative assessment mark).
University of Pretoria Programme Qualification Mix (PQM) verification project
The higher education sector has undergone an extensive alignment to the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQF) across all institutions in South Africa. In order to comply with the HEQSF, all institutions are legally required to participate in a national initiative led by regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the Council on Higher Education (CHE), and the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The University of Pretoria is presently engaged in an ongoing effort to align its qualifications and programmes with the HEQSF criteria. Current and prospective students should take note that changes to UP qualification and programme names, may occur as a result of the HEQSF initiative. Students are advised to contact their faculties if they have any questions.