A candidate must complete a thesis in one of several fields in which research is actively being done in the Department.
The programme consists of a thesis. Additional modules (as approved by the postgraduate coordinator) may be required depending on the candidate’s background and the scope of the study. The research fields and the names of possible supervisors are available from the department at www.up.ac.za/actuarial.
- Research master’s degree in Actuarial Science or relevant master’s degree
- A CV with contactable references may be required
- A copy of final master’s dissertation may be required
- An admission interview may be required
- At least 60% for the research component at master’s level
Requirement: Exemption for at least five of the A100- and A200-level subjects of the Actuarial Society of South Africa
Promotion to next study year
The progress of all doctoral candidates is monitored biannually by the supervisor and the postgraduate coordinator. A candidate’s study may be terminated if the progress is unsatisfactory or if the candidate is unable to finish his/her studies during the prescribed period.