The following requirements are set for completing the programme:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition and four compulsory seminars of which at least one must be read to and defended before the department in question, on topics assigned to the student.
- Practical experience of the laboratory techniques used in the particular subsections of the subject.
- Attendance at the compulsory faculty module (TNM 700) Applied research methodology 700.
- Successful completion of the prescribed module (MBS 700) Medical biostatistics 700.
- Taking part in a research project and presentation of an independent research report.
- Satisfactory attendance at a library-user course.
- Relevant bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree
- A weighted average of at least 60% in Physiology at final-year level
A minimum average of 60% in the final year (undergraduate) in Physiology.
The prerequisites for admission to the honours degree in certain fields of study are indicated in the syllabuses of the specific department.
Also consult General Academic Regulations G16-G29.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examination at the end of the programme will consist of two written papers of three hours each as well as an oral examination of 30 minutes.
- To comply with the pass requirements for the degree, a student must obtain a final mark of at least 50% in each division as indicated, as well as a pass mark of at least 50% for the essay/work assignment (if applicable). The stipulations regarding pass requirements for dissertations in the General Academic Regulations apply mutatis mutandis to essays.
- Also consult General Academic Regulation G18 regarding Renewal of registration.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the examination of the core module, MFG 777 (written, oral presentation, practical, etc.).