This is a coursework master's programme with six modules and a mini-dissertation.
- Relevant honours degree in Human Resource Management or Labour Relations Management or equivalent
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 65% for the honours degree
- At least 65% for the research component at honours level
- A candidate may be refused admission to a master’s degree by the head of the relevant department if he/she does not comply with the standard of competence in the subject as determined by the department – with the proviso that a candidate who does not comply with the required level of competence, may be admitted, provided that he/she completes additional study assignments and/or examinations.
- The relevant head of department may set additional admission requirements.
- Specific departments have specific requirements for admission.
- The number of students will be determined in line with the growth strategy of the University of Pretoria as approved by the Executive.
- The diversity profile of students will be aligned with the UP diversity objectives.
Other programme-specific information
The pass mark for the mini-dissertation is 50%. The provisions regarding pass requirements for dissertations, contained in General Academic Regulation G39, apply mutatis mutandis to mini-dissertations. A pass mark of at least 50% is required in the examination of each module.
The research component contributes 50% toward the total requirements for the degree, which include the Research in Practice module and the mini-dissertation or research article.
A module in Research Methodology is compulsory in all programmes. The Dean may, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department, waive the prerequisites. For the purpose of this degree, the Research in Practice module replace this Research Methodology module.
Preparation and submission of dissertation
Refer to General Academic Regulation G39.7.
Pass with distinction
In order to be awarded the degree with distinction, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Obtain a Grade Point Average of at least 75% including at least 75% in the mini-dissertation;
- Complete the degree/diploma within the minimum period prescribed;
- Only the final mark of the first attempt to pass the modules or dissertation will be considered and
- The GPA will be not be rounded up to a whole number.