The programme consists of:
- Original research leading to a thesis
- An examination on the thesis
Duration of studies
The doctorate is conferred on a student only if one of the following periods has expired:
- At least four years after complying with all the requirements for a three-year bachelor’s degree.
- At least three years after complying with all the requirements for a four-year bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years after complying with all the requirements for a bachelor’s degree of five years or more.
- At least two years after complying with all the requirements for a master’s degree.
- With the exception of a shorter period that may be approved by the Dean, at least 12 months since registration for the doctorate at this University has expired.
The relevant head of department may set specific residential requirements for students who are required to live on campus.
Renewal of registration
Subject to other faculty regulations, a student for a doctorate must complete his or her studies within three years after first registering for the degree. Under special circumstances, the Dean, on the recommendation of the relevant head of department or the Postgraduate Committee, may give approval for a limited fixed extension of this period.
The curriculum for the PhD degree consists of the following:
- Theoretical knowledge of the major subject/s and such additional modules as may be prescribed.
- A thesis.
Candidates are required to familiarise themselves with the General Regulations regarding the maximum duration of study and the requirements to submit an article/s for publication.
1. MScAgric degree or relevant master’s degree
2. At least 65% for the research component at master’s level
3. A CV with contactable references may be required
4. A copy of final masters dissertation may be required
5. An admission interview may be required
Examinations and pass requirements
- Consult the General Regulations that apply to the calculation of marks.
- In order to obtain the PhD degree the candidate must:
- pass the examinations and the prescribed modules, as determined in the study programme;
- pass the thesis; and
- pass the final examination on the thesis and general subject knowledge.