- Relevant MEd (or equivalent) degree
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 60% for the research component of the relevant master’s degree
Students for the PhD degree must:
- submit a research proposal during the first year of registration and defend it successfully before a panel of examiners appointed by the Dean, in collaboration with the relevant head of department, supervisor and research coordinator, before they can start with the research;
- apply for ethical clearance to the relevant head of department and Ethics Committee and only commence with field work once the application for ethical clearance has been approved by the Ethics Committee;
- annually present a progress report on the research to the supervisor. Continued reregistration depends on satisfactory progress annually;
- attend all research capacity building sessions on quantitative and qualitative research at doctoral level;
- submit a thesis for examination on a topic approved by the Dean on the recommendation of the relevant head of department and successfully defend her/his thesis at an oral examination;
- submit proof of submission of an article issued by an accredited journal. The draft proof as well as the proof of submission must be submitted to Student Administration before 15 February for the Autumn graduation ceremonies and before 15 July for the Spring graduation ceremonies. Failure to meet these deadlines will result in the degree being awarded during a subsequent series of graduation ceremonies;
- in addition to the abovementioned copies, each successful student must submit a bound paper copy as well as two electronic copies of the approved thesis to the Head: Student Administration in the format specified by the faculty and in accordance with the minimum standards set by the Department of Library Services (specifications are available at: http://upetd.up.ac.za/authors/publish/standards.htm#specs?, before 15 February for the Autumn graduation ceremonies and before 15 July for the Spring graduation ceremonies. Failure to meet these deadlines will result in the degree being awarded during a subsequent series of graduation ceremonies.
Guidelines for the format, submission and defending of the research proposal will be communicated by the relevant head of department .
Get Social With Us
Download the UP Mobile App