Mr T de Wit
The following requirements are set for completing the programme:
- Advanced instruction by means of self-tuition and four compulsory seminars of which at least one must be read to and defended before the department in question, on topics assigned to the student.
- Practical experience of the laboratory techniques used in the particular subsections of the subject.
- Attendance at the compulsory faculty module (TNM 700) Applied research methodology 700.
- Successful completion of the prescribed module (MBS 700) Medical biostatistics 700.
- Taking part in a research project and presentation of an independent research report.
- Satisfactory attendance at a library-user course.
- A bachelor's degree deemed acceptable by the head of department for the proposed field of study or an equivalent qualification deemed acceptable by the Senate of the University for the proposed field of study.
- At least one applicable biological subject as major subject.
- Admission is subject to the approval of the head of department: with the proviso that a candidate who has obtained an average of less than 60% in the modules of his or her major subject in the final year of the bachelor's degree study may be admitted only with the Dean's approval on the recommendation of the head of department.
- Additional requirements may be set by the head of department.
The prerequisites for admission to the honours degree in certain fields of study are indicated in the syllabuses of the specific department.
Also consult General Regulations.
Examinations and pass requirements
- The examination at the end of the programme will consist of two written papers of three hours each as well as an oral examination of 30 minutes.
- For the field of specialisation Medical Physics, one examination of three hours is required in each of the theoretical modules. The mark awarded to the practical work will also be taken into account when the final mark is calculated.
- To comply with the pass requirements for the degree, a student must obtain a final mark of at least 50% in each division as indicated, as well as a pass mark of at least 50% for the essay/work assignment (if applicable). The stipulations regarding pass requirements for dissertations in the General Regulations apply mutatis mutandis to essays.
- Also consult General Regulation G.18 regarding Renewal of registration.
Pass with distinction
The degree is conferred with distinction on a student who has obtained an average of at least 75% in the examination (written, oral, practical, etc).