The Mining Alumni Society of the University of Pretoria (MASUP) is an active alumni body. Members of the Society support the Department through raising sponsorships, ensuring that high skills and educational standards are maintained, offering mentorship, providing external examiners, being available for industry discussions, offering guidance and serving on the advisory committee of the Department. MASUP also serves as a social network for mining engineers in industry.
For any MASUP related queries, please contact MASUP President, Dr Bertie Meyer @ [email protected]
See short biography of Dr Meyer:
Dr Bertie Meyer was born in Potchefstroom but crew up on a farm in the Ventersdorp district. He joined the mining industry as a Learner Official at Buffelsfontein Gold Mine.
Dr Meyer obtained a NHDT in Metalliferous Mining from Wits Technikon (now UJ), graduated with a Bachelor’s in Mining Engineering from the University of Pretoria and obtained an M-Eng and PhD degrees from the Northwest University.
Dr Meyer have worked in the mining industry as a Production and General Manager. He switched to mining optimization and project as a Senior Mining Engineer and was involved with the designs for Anglo Platinum and implementation of big shaft complexes.
He was the Program Manager in two big projects for Goldfields in the pre-feasibility and feasibility stages, and is involved with SAMERDI projects for mechanized drill and blast, and non-explosive rock-breaking.
Dr Meyer accepted a position as Senior Lecturer in the Mining Engineering Department at the University of Pretoria and lecturing underground mining methods to undergraduate and post graduate students and mentoring Masters and PhD students. He joined the MASUP committee in 2017.
Bertie is married to Renei, they have two sons and his hobbies are golf and cycling and they like to travel.
MASUP Annual General Meeting 2019
24 May 2019
Guest Speaker; Mike Teke
Student Prize Winners 2019
1. MASUP DISSERTATION PRIZE
- For the best dissertation in the final year of study - Johannes Hendrik Maritz
2. SASOL PRIZE
- Best Academic student in 1st year - Andrian Xolani Sibeko
- Best Academic student in 2nd year - Lebogang Pitso Mpetle
- Best Academic student in 3rd year - Photo Jerry Mokganya
3. MASUP & De Villiers Prize
- Best students in Geology in the 3rd yeaer of study - Nicolas Quinn Anderson & Ryan Tyler Pedrelli
4. MINE MANAGERS ASSOCIATION OF SA PRIZE
- For the best achievement in the 2nd year of study - Lebogang Pitso Mpetle
5. WOLTER DE GRAAF EXPLOSIVES ENGINEERING PRIZE
- For the most dedicated 3rd year student in the module Explosives Engineering - Danél Wessels