UNIVERSITY MANAGED LOANS
The University manages various loan funds on behalf of various donors. Awarding of study loans is subject to registered students being financially needy.
- These study loans are primarily approved for the payment of tuition fees and will be administered accordingly.
- The loan amounts vary from R500 to R20 000 and are repayable at an interest rate of prime -1%. (Prime as on 1 January of the year in which the loan was issued.)
- Loan re-payment commences once the student completes the study programme. Interest is payable during the year in which the loan is granted.
- To be considered for a UP managed loan, applicants must provide two guarantors who comply with the conditions as determined by the University.
- UP managed loans are not guaranteed and are subject to availability of funds.
Students who want to apply for UP loans or UP funding:
- must first apply for admission to study at the University and wait to receive a student number;
- must apply for funding as soon as the University has sent them a student number, even before they have been notified of whether their study application was successful or not should not wait for their final school-year end examination results before applying for funding;
- must apply for UP funding between 01 August and 31 October of the year preceding the commencement of studies;
- must apply on the University of Pretoria website at www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding; and
- students should regularly follow-up their applications on the UP Portal "Student Centre"
- All applications for funding require the submission of various documents to prove the award or financial need. Such documents are referred to as “supporting documents”. Outstanding supporting documents or information will delay the processing of an application for funding.
If you are a first time user of the UP Portal, go to http://www.up.ac.za click on "New User" and enter your student number (u00000000) as username. Type in your ID/passport number and click on Proceed.