Prof Stull is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Nevada, Reno. She her B.A. in Anthropology from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2006), a MS in Biological and Forensic Anthropology at Mercyhurst University (2008), and a PhD in Anatomy, with a concentration in Biological Anthropology, from the University of Pretoria (2014).
She is a biological anthropologist with specific interests in forensic anthropology, human growth and development, modern human variation, and quantitative methods. She is currently a tenure-track assistant professor at University of Nevada, Reno. her research focuses on the identification of subadults through the creation and development of age and sex estimation techniques and the impact of population structure on the pattern of modern human variation.
Currently, she has three federal grants focused on advancing our understanding of worldwide subadult growth. Specific objectives include to explore the predictive ability of age and sex indicators, to develop age and sex techniques to accurately identify unknown decedents, and to quantify the extrinsic and intrinsic factors influencing growth. Researchers in the project utilize advanced imaging techniques in combination with cutting edge statistical methodology. A large portion of her current research is dedicated to increasing the utility and accessibility of modern statistical techniques and methods through intuitive graphical user interfaces that operate through R.
Peer-Reviewed Publications (*indicates student author)
- Colman, KL*, van der Merwe, AE, Stull, KE*, Dobbe, JGG, Streekstra, GJ, van Rijn, RR, Oostra, R, de Boer, HH (accepted) “The accuracy of 3D virtual bone models of the pelvis for morphological sex estimation.” International Journal of Legal Medicine.
- Hulse, CN* and Stull, KE (accepted) “Rib Fracture Frequency and Location Using Vehicular Crash Data.” Forensic Anthropology.
- Liebenberg, L*, Krüger, GC*, L’Abbé, EN, and Stull, KE (2018) “Postcraniometric Sex and Ancestry Estimation in South Africa: A Validation Study.” International Journal of Legal Medicine. doi.org/10.1007/s00414-018-1865-x
- Colman, K*, Janssen, MC, Stull, KE, van Rijn, RR, Oostra, RJ, de Boer, HH, van der Merwe, AE (2018) “A metric method for sex determination using the proximal femur, based on Dutch clinical CT-data.” Forensic Science International 286:268.e1-268.e8. doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2017.12.029
- Kenyhercz, MW, Klales, AR, Stull, KE, McCormick, KA, Cole, SJ* (2017) “Worldwide Population Variation in Pelvic Sexual Dimorphism: A Validation and Recalibration of the Klales et al. Method.” Forensic Science International 277: 259.e1-259.e8. doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2017.05.001
- Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN and Ousley, SD (2017) “Subadult Sex Estimation from Diaphyseal Dimensions.” American Journal of Physical Anthropology 163(1): 64–74. DOI: 10.1002/ajpa.23185
- Colman, KL*, Dobbe, JGG, Stull, KE, Ruijter, JM, Oostra, RJ, van Rijn, RR, van der Merwe1, AE, de Boer, HH, Streekstra, GJ. (2017) “The Geometrical Precision of Virtual Bone Models Derived from Clinical Computed Tomography Data for Forensic Anthropology.” Int J Legal Med DOI: 10.1007/s00414-017-1548-z
- Krüger GC*, L’Abbé EN, and Stull KE (2017) "Sex estimation from the long bones of modern South Africans." Int J Legal Med 131:275-285.
- Spradley, MK, Stull, KE, and Hefner, J (2016) “Craniofacial Secular Change in Recent Mexican Migrants.” Journal of Human Biology 88(1): 15-29.
- Stock MK*, Stull KE, Garvin HM, Klales AR (2016) “Development of modern human subadult age and sex estimation standards using multi-slice computed tomography images from medical examiner’s offices.” Proc. SPIE 9967, Developments in X-Ray Tomography X, 99670E. doi:10.1117/12.2237180
- Liebenberg, L*, Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN (2015) “Population differences in the postcrania of modern South Africans and the implications for ancestry estimation.” Forensic Science International 257: 522–529.
- L’Abbé, EN, Symes, SA, Pokines, JT, Cabo, LL, Stull, KE, Kuo, S, Raymond, DE, Randolph-Quinney, PS, Berger, LR (2015) “A Fatal Fall from Height, the Cause of Death of Malapa Hominins 1 and 2.” Scientific Reports 5: 1-11.
- Liebenberg, L*, Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN, Botha, D* (2015) “Evaluating the accuracy of cranial indices in ancestry estimation among South African groups.” Journal of Forensic Sciences 60(5):1277–1282.
- Krüger GC*, L’Abbé EN, Stull KE, Kenyhercz MW (2014) “Erratum to: Sexual dimorphism in cranial morphology among modern South Africans.” Int J Legal Med 129(4):869-75.
- Krüger GC*, L’Abbé EN, Stull KE, Kenyhercz MW (2014) "Sexual dimorphism in cranial morphology among modern South Africans." Int J Legal Med 129(4):869-75.
- Stull, KE, Kenyhercz, MW and L’Abbé, EN (2014) “Ancestry Estimation in South Africa Using Craniometrics and Geometric Morphometrics.” Forensic Science International 245: 206.e1–206.e7
- Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN and Ousley, SD (2014) “Using Multivariate Adaptive Regression Splines to Estimate Subadult Age from Diaphyseal Dimensions.” American Journal of Physical Anthropology 154:376-386.
- Stull, KE, Tise, ML, Ali, Z and Fowler, DR (2014) “Accuracy and reliability of measurements obtained from Computed Tomography 3D volume rendered images.” Forensic Science International 238:133–140.
- Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN, and Steiner, S (2013) “Measuring distortion of skeletal elements in Lodox Statscan-generated images.” Clin Anat. 26: 780 – 786.
- L’Abbé, EN, Kenyhercz, MW, Stull, KE, Keough, N, and Nawrocki, S (2013) “Application of FORDISC3.1 to explore differences among crania of North American and South African blacks and whites.” Journal of Forensic Sciences 58(6): 1579 – 1583.
- Stull, KE and Godde, K (2013) “Sex estimation of infants between birth and one year through discriminant analysis of the humerus and femur.” Journal of Forensic Sciences 58(1):13 – 20.
- Hulse, CN* and Stull, KE (in press) “Estimating Skeletal Sex: Cranial and Pelvic Morphology.” In: The SAS Encyclopedia of Archaeological Sciences. Lopez Varela, Editor. Wiley Blackwell.
- Spradley, MK and Stull, KE (2018) “Sex Estimation.” In: The International Encyclopedia of Biological Anthropology. Wenda Trevathan, Editor. Wiley Blackwell.
- Spradley, MK and Stull, KE (2017) “Advances in Morphometrics for Sex and Ancestry Assessment.” In: New Perspectives in Forensic Human Skeletal Identification. Krista Latham, Eric Bartelink, and Michael Finnegan, Editors. Elsevier.
- Krüger, GC*, Sutherland, S*, Liebenberg, L*, Myburgh, J, Brits, DM, Meyer, A, Botha, D, Oettlé, AC, Kenyhercz, MW, Stull, KE, L’Abbé, EN (2017) “Forensic Anthropology and the Biological Profile in South Africa: Recent Advances and Developments” In: New Perspectives in Forensic Human Skeletal Identification. Krista Latham, Eric Bartelink, and Michael Finnegan, Editors. Elsevier.
- Stull, KE, Kenyhercz, MW, Tise, ML, L’Abbé, EN, Tuamsuk, P (2016) “The Craniometric Implications of a Complex Population History in South Africa.” In: Biological Distance Analysis: Forensic and Bioarchaeological Perspectives. Pilloud and Hefner, editors. Elsevier Press.
- Bernitz H, Kenyhercz MW, Kloppers B, L’Abbé EN, Labuschagne GN, Myburgh J, Olckers A, Saayman G, Steyn M, Stull KE. (2015) The history and current status of forensic science in South Africa. In The Global Practice of Forensic Science. Ubelaker, D, editor. Wiley Press.
- Symes SA, L’Abbé EN, Stull KE, La Croix M, Pokines JT (2013) “Taphonomy and the Timing of Bone Fractures in Trauma Analysis.” In: Manual of Forensic Taphonomy. Pokines JT, Symes SA, editors. CRC Press.
- Stull, KE and Hamilton, MD. (2010) “Descriptive Analysis of Skeletal Remains of Three Individuals from Zatopec, with Comparative Analysis of Two Additional Sets of Remains from 41HY161.” In: Prehistoric Life, Labor, and Residence in Southeast-Central Texas: Results of Data Recovery at 41HY163, the Zatopec Site, San Marcos, Texas, edited by Jon C. Lohse. Archaeological Studies Report No. 18. Center for Archaeological Studies, Texas State University-San Marcos.
- Stull, KE and James, D. “Determination of Age-at-Death Using the Acetabulum of the Os Coxa.” In: Age Estimation of the Human Skeleton. 2010. Latham, K and Finnegan, M., editors. CC Thomas: Springfield, IL.