Dear Clients of the OVAH
During the lockdown, from midnight on 26 March till midnight on 16 April, the OVAH will only render essential services, including those to alleviate animal pain and suffering and to provide life-saving treatment. Our farm animal veterinarians will also be available to respond to any emergency call-outs.
We will not be able to perform any routine procedures, such as sterilisations, however, you will still be able to purchase chronic medication (if a valid prescription is available) as well as parasite control products and pet food from the OVAH. Please dial 086 100 8387 and follow the prompts in order to arrange to bring an animal in for emergency/essential treatment.
We suggest that you also call ahead and let us know if you plan to visit us to purchase food or over-the-counter products.
Please note that the following measures are still in place:
- Please call in and check to see if your animal’s symptoms require immediate action or can perhaps wait until a later date.
- Limit the trip to just yourself and your animal; only bring an assistant if essential to control the animal during transport.
- Please do not attend an appointment if you:
- have a high temperature, a sore throat or have developed a cough in the past two weeks;
- are suspected to have, or have been diagnosed to have, the Covid-19 infection, or are in a self-isolation period;
- have been in close contact with anyone who has been suspected to have, or who has been diagnosed to have, the Covid-19 infection.
- Recently returned from a trip abroad.
- If any of the above apply to you, please arrange that someone healthy brings your animal to us.
- Covid-19 can be more severe in older people, therefore, to minimise contact between older and younger clients, we advise that clients over 60 years of age try to arrange that someone else brings their animal to us.
- If none of the above apply to you, please:
- Wash pet carriers well using water and dishwashing soap before leaving home.
- Wash your hands thoroughly (for at least 20 seconds) with soap and water right before you leave home to come to us
- On arrival at the Onderstepoort Campus, we will provide you with further guidance. Please assist us by adhering to all requests!
- There are hand sanitiser products positioned at the main entrance to the hospital and we ask that you use them when you enter and leave the premises.
- Please keep a reasonable distance between yourself and our staff and students while in our hospital, and do not attempt to make physical contact with anyone.
Your support during our attempt to continue service delivery is highly appreciated!