Refer also to G16-G29.
The curriculum is determined in consultation with the relevant heads of departments. A student is required to pass modules to the value of at least 128 credits.
The degree is awarded on the basis of examinations only.
- BEng degree awarded by the University of Pretoria or equivalent degree or relevant four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering that the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) regards as acceptable for registration as a candidate engineer and for eventual registration as a professional engineer
- An entrance examination may be required
- Comprehensive intellectual CV
Other programme-specific information
Students may take modules to the value of 32 credits from other fields of specialisation or from other departments, with approval of the Coordinator: Postgraduate Studies.
Examinations and pass requirements
Refer also to G18 and G26.
- The examination in each module for which a student is registered, takes place during the normal examination period after the conclusion of lectures (i.e. October/November or May/June).
- G18(1) applies with the understanding that under exceptional circumstances an extension of a maximum of three years may be approved: provided that the Dean, on reccommendation of the relevant head of department, may approve a stipulated limited extension of this period.
- A student must obtain at least 50% in an examination for each module where no semester or year mark is required. A module may only be repeated once.
- In modules where semester or year marks are awarded, a minimum examination mark of 40% and a final mark of 50% is required.
- No supplementary or special examinations are granted at postgraduate level.
Pass with distinction
A student passes with distinction if he or she obtains a weighted average of at least 75% (not rounded) in the first 128 credits for which he or she has registered (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree is not awarded with distinction if a student fails any one module (excluding modules which were discontinued timeously). The degree must be completed within the prescribed study period.