- MBChB degree or an equivalent qualification.
- South African students must be registered as a medical doctor with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- International students must be registered as a medical doctor with the Licensing authority in their country of origin and present acceptable documentary proof to this effect.
The doctor should be:
- Consulting ambulatory patients;
- Providing first contact medical care; and
- Working as a medical generalist.
Other programme-specific information
Two academic years part-time study with a modularised curriculum by means of distance education. A blended approach which will involve campus-based teaching, web-based teaching and workplace-based learning will be followed.
Examinations and pass requirements
- Assignments as prescribed by the head of department, must be submitted for each of the eight modules. If a student does not achieve at least 50%, one resubmission is permitted for each module.
- Workplace-based learning and assessment.
Learning in the workplace will be driven by peer learning and documented by means of a portfolio of learning. The portfolio of learning would need to include:
- Evidence of self-directed learning by means of six (6) monthly learning plans and relfection. The assignments will form part of the portfolio;
- Evidence of learning by means of ten (10) observatios per year; and
- Evidence of learning skills by use of a logbook.
- Final assessment
An annual assessment of the learning documented in the portfolio by the Department of Family Medicine.
A minimum final mark of 50% is required as a pass mark for each module.
National exit examination
There will be one national exit examination for the country offered by the College of Family Physicians. The portfolio should be part of the assessment and the portfolio will give the student access to the national exit examination. Successful candicates will receive a Higher Diploma from the College as well as a Postgraduate Diploma from the Univeristy.
Pass with distinction
An average of at least 75% in the for the mdoules and the portfolio is required to obtain the diploma with distinction.