The BCom (Business Management) degree programme is for the student who wants to become a business leader and be employed in an organisation or create his/her own employment. The degree programme will give you the big picture of the organisation as a body with separate but interdependent parts and will show you how all the parts function as a whole. You will be equipped to solve real-life business problems, use management processes to make decisions to benefit the organisation and know the importance of being innovative within a dynamic business environment. The degree programme will empower students to develop a passion for business through exposure to South African and international best practices.
The BCom (Business Management) degree programme is the first step on the academic path within the Department of Business Management that can take you on a road to different honours degrees, postgraduate diplomas, MPhil degrees and finally PhD degrees in either Business Management, Entrepreneurship or Leadership.
You have to be:
- Able to see the big picture
- A creative thinker
- An analytical thinker
- A self-starter
- Able to integrate ideas and concepts
- A systematic organiser and planner
Enquiries: Please send an email to Prof AJ Antonites [email protected]
For more information: www.up.ac.za/business-management
A wide variety of opportunitiesexist in the areas of administration, finance, marketing and human resource management, including employment as teachers, lecturers, general managers and management consultants
Applications for this plan have closed.
Important information for all prospective students for 2023
The admission requirements below apply to all who apply for admission to the University of Pretoria with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examination Board (IEB) qualifications. Click here for this Faculty Brochure.
English Home Language or English First Additional Language
Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
You will be considered for final admission to degree studies if space allows, and if you have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) or equivalent qualification with admission to bachelor’s degree studies, and comply with the minimum subject requirements as well as the APS requirements of your chosen programme.
Applicants with qualifications other than the abovementioned should refer to the Brochure: Undergraduate Programme Information 2023: Qualifications other than the NSC and IEB, available at click here.
International students: Click here.
A transferring student is a student who, at the time of applying at the University of Pretoria (UP) is/was a registered student at another tertiary institution. A transferring student will be considered for admission based on NSC or equivalent qualification and previous academic performance. Students who have been dismissed from other institutions due to poor academic performance will not be considered for admission to UP.
Closing dates: Same as above.
A returning student is a student who, at the time of application for a degree programme is/was a registered student at UP, and wants to transfer to another degree at UP. A returning student will be considered for admission based on NSC or equivalent qualification and previous academic performance.
- Students who have been excluded/dismissed from a faculty due to poor academic performance may be considered for admission to another programme at UP, as per faculty-specific requirements.
- Only ONE transfer between UP faculties and TWO transfers within a faculty will be allowed.
- Admission of returning students will always depend on the faculty concerned and the availability of space in the programmes for which they apply.
Closing date for applications from returning students
Unless capacity allows for an extension of the closing date, applications from returning students must be submitted before the end of August via your UP Student Centre.
Minimum duration of study
3 years, full-time
All modules will only be presented in English, as English is the language of tuition, communication and correspondence at the University of Pretoria.
Faculty Yearbooks: click here.
The University of Pretoria has decided not to set a specific closing date for applications to non-selection programmes for 2023. Applications will close when the available study spaces are filled (close on availability of space). Once the available number of study places for a specific programme are filled, no further applications for that particular programme will be considered. All applicants are therefore strongly advised and encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible after 1 April 2022 and to check the application site (UP Student Portal) regularly.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences aspires to be at the cutting edge of economic, financial and management education, as well as research and community engagement within the national, African and global context. Our mission is to advance relevant knowledge and develop employable, innovative and diverse graduates to co-create value for society.
- Disclaimer: This publication contains information about regulations and programmes of the University of Pretoria. Amendments to or updating of the information may be effected from time to time without prior notification. The accuracy, correctness or validity of the information contained here is therefore not guaranteed by the University at any given time and is always subject to verification. The user is kindly requested to verify the correctness of the information with the University at all times. Failure to do so will not give rise to any claim or action of any nature against the University by any party whatsoever.
Enquiries about the programme