Email us


My First Week

Here are some questions frequently asked by first years when arriving at their residences for the first time:

How do I know if I may move into a residence?
As soon as you receive a place in residence, an official placement letter will be sent to you confirming that you have been placed in a specific residence and that you may move into the residence on Welcoming Day. 

When may I move into my residence?
The official date to move into your residence is Saturday, 16 January 2016 from 08:00 – 13:00, but provision has been made for students to move in on Friday, 15 January 2016 between 12:00 and 16:00.

How do room allocations work?
The House Committee (HC) of each residence handles the room allocation of first years. The allocation of rooms is mostly done according to personal preferences and the course you will be studying. Take Note: Certain residences only have double rooms available for first years, while other residences also have some single rooms for first years. Should you require special arrangements with the allocation of a room to you, you may contact the first year guardian of your residence. 

Is it compulsory to take part in the activities of Welcoming Week?
It will be to your benefit to take part in the residences’ Welcoming Week programme as it will introduce you to the different activities available at the University. Through the activities in the programme, you will also meet a lot of new students. Many lifelong friendships have been forged during Welcoming Week. 

Are there study times for the first years?
Yes, there are compulsory study times for first years. You will be informed about these hours during Welcoming Week. 

Will I be able to eat at my residence and how will I obtain meals?
Yes, all undergraduate residences have a dining hall where you can book meals or obtain limited additional items/take-aways. Upon arrival at your residence you will be issued with a student card. Using this card, you will be able to gain access to your residence buildings and campus gates and buildings. This card will also be used to obtain meals at the dining hall as it will be pre-loaded with an amount for meals at your residence. Therefore, you need not buy your meals with cash at your residence. Take Note: Your student card will only be loaded with 50% of the required amount for meals during an academic year.  

When and how do I pay for my meals?
Placed students’ student cards will be activated for meals with a pre-determined amount. When you book and pay with your student card, the money will automatically be debited from your account. As the money runs out, you will have to deposit money into your student account as money for meals.   

What must I do when my meal money is finished?
You will have to deposit additional meal money at the cashier at the Client Service Centre (CSC). Take Note: When your balance reaches R500 you will receive a message warning you that your balance is low. Receipts and the cash registers in the dining halls will also indicate your balance. 

How do I book for meals?
Each residence has booking points in the foyer and IT lab where meals can be booked. A House Committee member will show you how to book meals during Welcoming Week.  

Where will I get my student card?
A temporary student card will be issued to you at your residence. As soon as you register, the Client Service Centre (CSC) will take in your temporary card and issue you with a permanent student card. Both cards will provide you access to the residence, campus buildings and meals. 

How do I gain access to the residence?
As soon as you are placed in a residence your student card gets activated for access and meals. You will not be able to gain access to any other residence with your student card. Access to all buildings at your residence is controlled by swiping your student card at the entrances  

How do I do my laundry?
All residences have laundry rooms, equipped with washing machines and tumble driers. The use of the laundry rooms is free of charge for current residents. Take Note: You will need to provide your own washing powder and other cleaning materials.  

Will I have Internet access?
All residences have mini IT labs where you will have access to the Internet, free of charge. Take Note: Although internet access and the use of data is open and unlimited, usage thereof is still monitored and tracked as to ensure that students do not abuse the system. Abuse of this system will have serious consequences for involved students.  

Am I allowed to bring my car? And will there be parking available?
Yes, you are allowed to bring your car and there is parking available. A parking fee is also payable. You can get more information from your House Committee when you arrive. 

If I don’t have a car, how will I be able to get to campus?
Transport to and from campus is available.  Regular buses run between the Hillcrest (where the men’s residences, Katjiepiering and TuksVillage are located) and Hatfield Campuses, as well as between the Groenkloof and Hatfield Campuses. 

Will I be able to do my shopping etc. nearby?
The residences are situated in close vicinity of shopping centres. Here you will be able to do your necessary shopping, banking etc.

Can I, as a first year, do my own thing while in a residence?
During Welcoming Week you will have a limited amount of time to “do your own thing”, but you will have adequate free time. During the day you will be busy on Campus with the Academic Welcoming Programme and in the evenings the residence has activities planned. After Welcoming Week, your time is your own (apart from compulsory study times). You will be invited and requested to take part in the various student life activities that the residence offers, but nothing is compulsory. 

Who can my parents contact in case of emergency?
Each residence is managed by a Head of Residence (permanent personnel member at the university) and a House Committee (HC). Every HC has a First Year Guardian who is specifically responsible for the wellbeing of first years in his/her residence. Either the Head of Residence or the First Year Guardian may be contacted in case of an emergency.

Is there a contact person available to whom I can report issues within my residence?
It depends on the type of issue that you may have:

  • If you are struggling with a personal and/or emotional issue, you can get in contact with the House Committee Member responsible for Well-being in the residence, or alternatively the Head of Residence. TuksRes also has a division that specifically deals with the emotional and academic support of the students in residences. You are welcome to phone Bes (BVB – “Bel vir Bes”) at 082 908 3588 any time or get in contact with her at the TuksRes offices at 90 Duxbury Road, during office hours.
  • If the issue is about your room mate or about noise levels etc, you can report it to the House Committee Member living on your floor/unit, or alternatively discuss it with your Head of Residence.
  • Should the issue be about a light bulb not working or any other maintenance problem, you can contact the Coordinator: Residence Facilities at your residence. Each residence has a personnel member who is responsible for these “hard issues” and his/her office is situated in the residence. 

With regards to my privacy, will I be sharing communal areas etc. with other students?
You will be part of a residence with about 280 to 320 residents that will be living with you. You will also most probably share a corridor/unit with around 10 – 20 people. Bathrooms and toilets are shared amongst those living with you on your corridor/unit while the laundry, IT labs etc. are shared with the entire residence. It is therefore important that you respect your fellow residents’ privacy at all times.

Should you have any queries, questions or requests, please do not hesitate to contact the TuksRes family at [email protected].

Share this page
Last edited by Lanche van TonderEdit