The Department of Production Animal Studies is an integral part of the Faculty of Veterinary Science of the University of Pretoria and conducts its activities within the context of the institutional mission, vision and value system. The Department develops, collects and disseminates knowledge primarily for undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary education as well as for the support of the production animal sectors (commercial, governmental and informal) through research, publications, training courses and community service. Due to the range of competencies of our staff members in clinical production animal health care, sustainable appropriate herd and flock health programmes, epidemiology, risk assessment and reproduction, we are well positioned to provide a unique veterinary support service to South Africa and Africa in the field of production animal health, welfare, food security and the sustainability/profitability of our farm animal industries.
Although the Department supports and shares the mission, vision and policies of our institution, it also has objectives very specific to its unique nature and challenges.
· To provide a veterinary graduate that has the intent and ability to accept the challenges of a career in production animal practice, whether in private practice, regulatory services or in research
· To provide opportunities for staff to enable them to develop to their full potential
· To develop and nurture partnerships with local and international bodies to enhance the positive impact of the Department on the future of the Faculty, University and South Africa
· (Explore the opportunity to design and offer a modular training programme in partnership with the DOA and the SAVC that will target the unregistered, unemployed veterinary graduates in South Africawho wish to make use of the competence-specific registration for future state veterinary employees)
· To develop a plan to utilise outside training opportunities optimally in the departmental experiential and other teaching programmes
· To enhance and enrich the teaching, learning and research activities through appropriate service rendering and community engagement
It is acknowledged that the success of our programmes and services will always depend on the positive impact they have on the agricultural animal industries of South Africa.