From humble beginnings to world-class institution/leader
Two years after the University of Pretoria was established as the Transvaal University College on 17 May 1910, the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences as it is known today, made its humble debut, initially only presenting extramural lectures to a handful of students.
Over the next 98 years, however, it not only grew into the largest faculty in the University of Pretoria, but also, through its academic and research excellence, became an undisputed leader in the fields of economic, financial and management sciences.
Recognising right from the early days in 1912 the importance of cultivating quality human resources for the South African business sector, the Faculty, under the able leadership of top academics and visionaries, consistently evolved in tune with changing times, producing not only a myriad of highlights and milestones along the way, but also a host of business leaders and achievers.
In a class of their own, each and every dean not only boasted a formidable track record, but played a key role in building the Faculty into a respected and leading learning institution.
The following timeline sketches the growth of the Faculty from small beginnings into a comprehensive institution covering the entire field of economic and management sciences.
The early years read more
Share this page