Open Access invitation: Open Access - are the researchers the only losers?
Merensky 2 Library Auditorium, Hatfield Campus, Lynnwood Road, Pretoria
10:30 to 13:00
In celebration of Open Access Week 2018 the Department of Library Services invites you to attend the screening of the following movie and a panel discussion on Open Access.
Paywall: the business of scholarship is a documentary that focuses on the need for open access to research. Produced and directed by Jason Schmidt, a professor at Clarkson University, the documentary raises questions regarding the rationale behind the US$25.2 billion a year that flows into for-profit publishers. It also examines the 35-40% profit margin associated with top academic publisher Elsevier and compares this with the profit margins of some of the most profitable tech companies like Apple, Facebook and Google.
The members participating in the panel discussion after the screening of the movie include:
- Mr. Glenn Truran: Director of the South African National Library and Information Consortium (SANLiC)
- Ms. Susan Veldsman: Director: Scholarly Publication Unit (Academy of Sciences in South Africa)
- Prof. Nithaya Chetty: Professor in the Department of Physics (University of Pretoria)
- Prof. Andries van Aarde: Senior Research Fellow in the Dean’s office (Faculty of Theology, University of Pretoria)
- Dr. Dickson Ajisafe: Doctoral candidate at the Department of Political Sciences (University of Pretoria)
RSVP by Monday 22 October 2018 for catering purposes
10:35: Screening of Paywall
11:40: Panel discussion
12:40: Closure & Refreshments