There is a designated area at the Merensky Library Study Collection Unit and Mamelodi Library where services are provided to users with disabilities. Students must be registered at the Disability Unit in order to make use of this accessible facility in the library.
The designated lab on level 3 of the Merensky 2 Library (Study Collection Unit) houses equipment intended to serve students with visual learning disabilities. This lab currently has 4 computers:
- One computer using Zoomtext for students with low vision.
- Two computers using JAWS (Job Access With Speech), one of which is connected to a fine reader scanner, for blind students.
- One Desk Magnifier enlarging words from books/articles.
- One computer using WYNN (WYNN was developed with the help of special educators and individuals with learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dysgraphia and aphasia) for students with cognitive and learning disabilities.
- The WYNN program is also effective for studying use by with neurodevelopmental disabilties or , as it facilitates the reading process and helps the student make effective summaries.
- Desks have been installed on the prescribed level that can accommodate students who make use of wheelchairs.
- There is also a printer available in the lab.
Hatfield Campus : Merensky 2 Library; Level 3 (Tel: +27 (0)12 420 3630); https://www.library.up.ac.za/spec_needs
Mamelodi and Groenkloof Campus: Ground Floor (both labs are currently under construction).