Consumer and Food Sciences
PhD Food science
Food Safety and Food Spoilage, Food-borne Pathogen, Microbiological and Toxicological Risk Assessment, Food Safety Management Systems, Fermentation, Microbial Systems.
For my PhD research, I characterized some Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus velezensis strains isolated from dairy plant using multi-locus sequencing technique (MLST) to source-track their contamination and mitigate their challenge during processing. Their spores were subjected to UVC in a suspending medium to determine their inactivation parameters. The biofilms and spoilage potential were also determined for the Bacillus subtilis complex group.
Prof Elna Buys
Awards during PhD
- EUROPEAN FORUM ALPBACH 2020 Scholarship sponsored by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (2020)
- MOBILE UNLIMITED Project International Credit Mobility to the Universidade do Porto, Portugal (2020)
- Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility to the Universitat de Barcelona, Spain (2018)
- South Africa Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST)
- International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Africa Food Research Network (AfREN)
- African Students and Alumni Forum (ASAF)
- Federation of European Microbiological Societies
- Spoilage potential of biofilms and planktonic cells of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus velezensis in extended shelf-life milk. James A. Elegbeleye, Elna M. Buys. Food Control (Under Review).
- Ultraviolet-C inactivation and hydrophobicity of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus velezensis spores isolated from extended shelf-life milk. James A. Elegbeleye, Ramon Gervilla, Artur X. Roig-Sagues, Elna M. Buys. International Journal of Food Microbiology (Accepted).
- Molecular Characterization and Biofilm Formation Potential of Bacillus Isolates from Different Milk Samples. James A. Elegbeleye, Elna M. Buys. Journal of Dairy Science, April 2020
- Effects of Ultraviolet C Processing on the Spores of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus velenzensis and their Chemical Analysis Using Raman Spectroscopy. J. A. Elegbeleye, E. M. Buys, A. X. Sagues. Presented at the ASM Microbe 2020 online conference (June 18-July 22).
- Virulence genes and antimicrobial resistance profile of faecal bacteria isolated from probiotic-exposed cockerels. Presented at the 21st World Veterinary Poultry Association Congress (September 16 - 20, 2019) at Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre, Bangkok, Thailand (Poster).
- What has light got to do with milk? (2019). James A. Elegbeleye, Elna M. Buys, Ramon Gervilla, Artur X. Roig-Sagues. Presented at 23rd South African Association for Food Science (SAAFoST) Biennial International Congress and Exhibition (September 1-4, 2019) Birchwood Hotel and Conference Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa (Poster)
- Molecular Typing, Biofilm Formation and Proteolytic Activity of Bacillus Isolates from Extended Shelf-Life Milk. Presented at 22nd South African Association for Food Science (SAAFoST) Biennial International Congress and Exhibition (September 3-6, 2017) Century City Conference Centre, Cape Town, South Africa (Poster).