Consumer and Food Sciences
PhD Food Science
Sensory attributes of chicken meat in relation to microbial and physicochemical characteristics
My research focused on the sensory, microbial and physicochemical characteristics of chicken meat during storage and how these are linked to consumers’ handling practices and perceptions of its quality and safety. Chicken meat is the most consumed source of animal protein in South Africa but is frequently contaminated with Salmonella spp. and Campylobacter spp., which are pathogenic bacteria. The study revealed that there is a need for consumer educational interventions in South Africa focused on microbial risks in chicken meat and the consequences of mishandling on its safety and quality.
- Prof EM buys
- Prof HL de Kock
- Dr R Coorey
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
- Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP)
- South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST)
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys, (2020). Sensory implications of chicken meat spoilage in relation to microbial and physicochemical characteristics during refrigerated storage. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 128, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2020.109468.
- W. Katiyo, R. Coorey, E.M. Buys & H.L. de Kock, (2020). Consumers’ perceptions of intrinsic and extrinsic attributes as indicators of safety and quality of chicken meat: Actionable information for public health authorities and the chicken industry. Journal of Food Science, 85 (6), 1845-1855.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys, (2019). Assessment of safety risks associated with handling chicken as based on practices and knowledge of a group of South African consumers. Food Control, 101, 104-111.
- W. Katiyo, R. Yang & W. Zhao, (2018). Phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of Chinese red-fleshed apples (Malus pumila Niedzwetzkyana (Dieck) and effect of different pasteurization treatments on the cloudy juice. International Food Research Journal, 25 (5), 2185-2194.
- G. Lichun, W. Katiyo, L. Lu, X. Zhang, M. Wang, J. Yan, X. Ma, R. Yang, L. Zou & W. Zhao, (2018). Glycyrrhetic acid 3‐O‐Mono‐β‐d‐glucuronide (GAMG): An innovative high‐potency sweetener with improved biological activities. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 17 (4), 905-919.
- W. Katiyo, R. Yang & W. Zhao, (2017). Effects of combined pulsed electric fields and mild temperature pasteurization on microbial inactivation and physicochemical properties of cloudy red apple juice (Malus pumila Niedzwetzkyana (Dieck)). Journal of Food Safety, 37 (4).
- W. Katiyo, R. Yang, W. Zhao, X. Hua & M.A.A. Gasmalla, (2014). Optimization of combined pulsed electric fields and mild temperature processing conditions for red apple juice polyphenol oxidase and peroxidase inactivation. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology, 6(5), 638-646.
- F. Lian, W. Zhao, R. Yang, Y. Tang & W. Katiyo, (2014). Survival of Salmonella enteric in skim milk powder with different water activity and water mobility. Food Control, 47, 1-6.
- H. Song, R. Yang, W. Zhao, W. Katiyo, X. Hua & W. Zhang, (2014). Innovative assistant extraction of flavonoids from pine (Larix olgensis Henry) needles by High-Density Steam Flash-Explosion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62, 3806-3812.
- M.V.M. Chamba, Y. Hua & W. Katiyo, (2014). Oxidation and structural modification of full-fat and defatted flour-based soy protein isolates induced by natural and synthetic extraction chemicals. Food Biophysics, 9(3), 193-202.
- W. Zhao, R. Yang, T-T. Qian, X. Hua, W. Zhang & W. Katiyo, (2013). Preparation of novel poly (hydroxyethyl methacrylate-co-glycidyl methacrylate)-grafted core-shell magnetic chitosan microspheres and immobilization of lactase. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 14 (6), 12073-12089.
- W. Zhao, G. Xu, R. Yang & W. Katiyo (2013). Preparation of casein phosphopeptides using a novel continuous process of combining an enzymatic membrane reactor with anion-exchange chromatography. Journal of Food Engineering, 117(1), 105-112.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. How South African consumers perceive intrinsic and extrinsic attributes as indicators of safety of chicken meat. 23rd SAAFoST Biennial International Congress and Exhibition. Johannesburg, South Africa. 1-4 September 2019.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. Knowledge and practices related to handling chicken meat by consumers in South Africa. 2nd International Conference for Food Safety and Security. Pretoria, South Africa. 15-18 October 2018.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. Raw chicken meat handling practices and safety knowledge of South African consumers. 19th World Congress of Food Science and Technology. International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST). Mumbai, India. 23-27 October 2018.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. Consumer perception of the safety and quality of raw chicken meat in South Africa. 19th World Congress of Food Science and Technology. International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST). Mumbai, India. 23-27 October 2018.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. Descriptive sensory profile of raw chicken meat and its relation to microbial and physicochemical quality during refrigerated storage. International Conference on Agriculture, Food and Aqua. Cape Town, South Africa. 22-23 November 2018.
- W. Katiyo, H.L. de Kock, R. Coorey & E.M. Buys. Consumer safety perception and practices for raw chicken meat from retail to home: a pilot study. 22nd SAAFoST Biennial International Congress and Exhibition. Cape Town, South Africa. 3-6 September 2017.
- Conference rapporteur for the DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Food Security (CoE-FS): The 2nd International Congress of the World Public Health Nutrition Association, Cape town, South Africa, 30 August – 2 September 2016
- Conference poster presenter: Clarity Ropafadzo Mapengo, Mohammad Naushad Emmambux, and Suprakas Sinha Ray. Pasting properties of hydrothermally treated maize starch with stearic acid. 21st South African Association for Food Science and Technology in international congress, Durban, KZN, South Africa, 6-9 September 2015