History of TuksDance
TuksDance was founded in 1997 as the University of Pretoria’s only Ballroom and Latin Dance Club which in 2013 also started to cater for dance styles such as Ballet, Contemporary, and Hip Hop. The dance club caters to a diverse variety of students across the different faculties at the University of Pretoria.
The affordability and convenience in location paired with world-class coaching make TuksDance a sought after institution for dance in Pretoria. With coaches that have local as well as international dancing experience, TuksDance provides a service unfounded in most other dance schools.
In the past two years, TuksDance has strengthened as a club on a competitive level within the annual Student National Competition. TuksDance has won the Formation cup two years successively since 2015. Furthermore, TuksDance has managed to win the Advanced section in 2015 and the Intermediate section in 2016.
During the past two years, TuksDance has been actively participating in both South African Dance Teacher Association and Student National competitions across South Africa. The majority of TuksDance dancers compete in the Bronze sections, while some of the dancers have risen to the bar and moved on to Silver. The dancers of the club have been accomplishing numerous awards across all sections, both competitively and socially.
Why We Dance
There are hundreds of benefits to dancing. Dancing not only in the form of Ballroom and Latin but dancing across all spectrums. Some of the benefits of dancing are:
- Dance keeps both the body and the brain active, vital for people of every age
- Dance offers a way to improve strength and flexibility, which helps keeps muscles and joints healthy
- Dance helps you learn about your body, improving your posture and balance
- Taking time out in the day to partake in a hobby can help to reduce stress levels
- Dance can offer insight into other cultures, either through the dance style itself or meeting new people
- Dance can lead to new career opportunities, or help build vital communications skills needed in every profession
- Participating in dance can help increase your self-esteem and confidence through mastering new skills
- Dance offers a creative outlet for people to express their personalities in a safe environment
- Dance is a fun way to open up new possibilities, keep healthy and enjoy yourself