We invite your proposals on robotics and AI technologies, applications and use cases, human robot interaction, and their uses and impact on library operations and services. The Symposium will cover topics including but not limited to:
- Humanoid robots for library services: instruction/teaching, library promotion, information and reference assistance, etc.
- Autonomous delivery vehicles (ADVs) and other robots for library operations such as book transport/delivery, inventory, shelf reading, etc. (excluding automated storage and retrieval system or ASRS)
- Human-robot interaction design: speech and natural language processing (NLP), facial recognition, etc.
- Cognitive automation: intelligent process automation using NLP, OCR and machine learning
- Use and impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI-based virtual assistants, conversational bots, voice assistants, etc.
- Collaborative robots (cobots) and hybrid robotics/automation, e.g. telepresence robots
- Ethical and legal issues, algorithmic literacy, transparency, bias, oversight
- Social considerations, singularity/multiplicity, work-force issues.
Submission deadline: 21 December 2019
The first conference on Robotics in Libraries: Challenge and Opportunity was held at the Technical University of Applied Sciences Wildau, Berlin in August 2019. Following the successful programme and participants’ call for a follow-up event, the next International Symposium on Robotics and AI in Libraries will be hosted on 8-10 June 2020 on the Future Africa Campus, University of Pretoria, South Africa. This Symposium is a timely event to showcase and increase awareness of Fourth Industrial Revolution developments and apprehend the potential and challenges it may hold for libraries.
The symposium will include presentations from experts in the field, panels and round table discussions, hands-on workshop on developing algorithms and applications.
Find more information on the conference website: https://www.up.ac.za/robotics_ai2020