Participation in national and international associations, bodies, committees
- P.J. Botha: Co-chair of the Program Unit Writings (Including Psalms) of the Society of Biblical Literature.
Involvement in research projects
- J.P.K. Kritzinger: The translation of Robert Persons's De persecutione Anglicana libellus, which forms part of a bigger international project called Stichting Refo500.
Master and doctoral supervisions
- G.T.M. Prinsloo: Supervisor for L.C.F. Deysel who graduated with a DLitt (Semitic Languages) with a thesis entitled “Animal names and categorisation in the Hebrew Bible: a textual and cognitive approach.”
Publications (books, articles, chapters and so on)
- Allen, G. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “Textual History and Reception History: Exegetical Variation and the Apocalypse,” Novum Testamentum 59 no 3, 297–319.
- Allen, G. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “Zechariah’s Horse Visions and Angelic intermediaries: Translation, Allusion, and Transmission in Early Judaism,” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 79, 222–39.
- Botha, P.J. 2017. Article: “Psalm 39 and its Place in the Development of a Doctrine of Retribution in the Hebrew Bible.” Old Testament Essays 30/2, 240-264.
- Botha, P.J. 2017. Article: “Psalm 55 Interpreted in View of its Textual, Metatextual and Intertextual Connections.” Scandinavian Journal for the Old Testament 31(1), 131-154.
- Dunn, G. 2016. Research Associate. Article: “Zosimus and Ravenna: Conflict in the Roman Church in the Early Fifth Century.” Revue d’Études Augustiniennes et Patristiques 62/1, 1-20. [2016 article, journal appeared only in 2017 (22 May 2017)].
- Dunn, G. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “Discipline, Coercion, and Correction: Augustine against the Violence of the Donatists in Epistula 185,” Scrinium 13 (2017), pp. 114-130.
- Kilchör, B. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “Noch einmal: Das Verhältnis von Ez 40:44-46 und 44:14-16.” Vetus Testamentum 67:9-15.
- Kilchör, B. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “The meaning of Ezekiel 44:6-14 in light of Ezekiel 1-39.” Biblica 98/2, 191-207.
- Kritzinger, J.P.K., 2017. Article: “Three love stories; three caves; three suicides ... – Aeneas and Dido, Pyramus and Thisbe, Malchus and his ‘wife’.” Scrinium, Journal for Patrology and Critical Hagiography, 13 (2017) 159-169.
- Stander, H.F. 2017. Article: “Domestic and public violence in Chrysostom’s community.” In die Skriflig / In Luce Verbi 51(3), a2099. Pages 1-7.
- Stander, H.F. 2017. Article: “Repliek op Van der Watt se artikel oor ‘Intertekstualiteit en oorinterpretasie: Verwysings na Genesis 28:12 in Johannes 1:51?’” In die Skriflig / In Luce Verbi 51(1), a 2266. Pages 1-5.
- Van der Bergh, R.H. 2017. Research Associate. Article: “A Thematic and Chronological Analysis of the Reception of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-11) in the First Five Centuries CE.” Journal of Early Christian History, 06 June 2017. Pages 1-16.
- Allen, G. 2017. Research Associate. Book published: The Book of Revelation and Early Jewish Textual Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Allen, G. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Image, Memory, and Allusion in the Textual History of the Apocalypse: GA 2028 and Visual Exegesis.” Pages 435–454 in Studien zum Text der Apokalypse II. Edited by M. Sigismund and D. Müller. Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen Textforschung 50. Berlin: De Gruyter.
- Allen, P. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Church and Emperor in the Letters of Hormisdas I, Bishop of Rome (514-523): Conflict and Negotiation between East and West.” Pages 320-336 in Kirche und Kaiser in Antike und Spätantike. Festschrift für Hanns Christof Brennecke zum 70. Geburtstag. Edited by Uta Heil and Jörg Ulrich. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2017. ISBN 978-3-11-052711-7.
- *Allen, P. and Mayer, W. 2017. *Research Associate. Chapter in book: “John Chrysostom.” Pages 1054-1071 in The Early Christian World. Second Edition. Edited by Philip F. Esler. London: Routledge.
- Allen, P. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Letters, instructions, gifts: the embassies of Hormisdas, bishop of Rome (514-523), to Constantinople. Pages 339-348 in Text and the Material World: Essays in Honour of Graeme Clarke. Edited by Elizabeth Minchin and Heather Jackson. Uppsala: Astrom.
- Dunn, G. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Boniface I and Roman Ecclesiastical Supervision of the Churches of Illyricum Orientale: The Evidence of Retro maioribus to Rufus of Thessaloniki,” in Costellazioni geo-ecclesiali da Constantino a Giustiniano: dalla chiese ‘principali’ alle chiese patriarcali (xliii Incontro di studiosi dell’antichità cristiana, Roma 7-9 maggio 2015), Studia Ephemeridis Augustinianum, vol. 149 (Rome: Institutum Patristicum Augustinianum, 2017), pp. 221-235.
- Dunn, G. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Jews and Christians in Tertullian’s Carthage,” in Texts and the Material World: Essays in Honour of Graeme Clarke, ed. Elizabeth Minchin and Heather Jackson, Studies in Mediterranean Archaeology and Literature, vol. 185 (Uppsala: Astrom Editions, 2017), pp. 255-266.
- Dunn, G. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Tertullian,” in The Early Christian World, ed. Philip F. Esler (London and New York: Routledge, 2017 [2nd end]), pp. 959-975.
- Weber, B. 2017. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Verbindungslinien von den Psalmen Asaphs (Ps 50; 73–83) zu den Psalmen des Psalterteilbuchs IV (Ps 90–106). Erwägungen zu einem asaphitischen Trägerkreis.” Pages 97-132 in Frank-Lothar Hossfeld, Johannes Bremer, and Till Magnus Steiner (Hg.), Trägerkreise in den Psalmen. Bonn: Bonn University Press.
- Whitmarsh, T. Research Associate. Chapter in book: ‘“Away with the atheists!” Christianity and “militant atheism” in the second century CE’, in J. Carleton-Paget and J. Lieu (eds.) Christianity in the Second Century (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2017): 281-293.
- Whitmarsh, T. Research Associate. Chapter in book: ‘Quantum classics: literature, historicism, untimeliness, uncertainty’, In J. Grethlein and A. Rengakos (eds.) Griechische Literaturgeschichtsschreibung (Berlin: de Gruyter, 2017): 30-45. DOI: 10.1515/9783110473117‑005
- Whitmarsh, T. Research Associate. Chapter in book: “Hellenistic and early imperial continuities.” Pages 11-23 in D. S. Richter and W. A. Johnson eds. The Oxford Handbook of the Second Sophistic. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Swart, G.J. Chapter in Conference Proceedings. “No place for worship. Rhetorical function and historical significance of a prayer theme in Deuterocanonical Literature.” Pages 247-259 in Géza G. Xeravits, József Zsengellér, Iboyla Balla (eds.), Various aspects of worship in Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature. 2017, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter. ISBN 978-3-11-046564-8.
Papers presented at Conferences, workshops, short courses
- Botha, P.J. “Psalm 62: Prayer, Accusation, Declaration of Innocence, Self-motivation, Sermon, or all of these?” South African Society for Near Eastern Studies Conference, University of Pretoria, 5 September 2017.
- Botha, P.J. 2017. “Psalm 4 and the plight of the poor in the post-exilic province of Judah.” Paper read at the SBL International Meeting, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 10 August 2017.
- Haskins, S.L. “A Crisis of Masculinity and Violence against Women in Achilles Tatius’ Leucippe and Clitophon.” Classical Association of South Africa Biennial Conference (UNISA, Pretoria), 26-29 October 2017. (Paper read on 27 October)
- Haskins, S.L. “The Conceptualisation of Isis as a Supreme Female Divine in the 2nd century AD Greek and Roman Worlds.” International Interdisciplinary Conference “Conceptualising the Divine: Revelations, Internalisations and Identifications with the Divine in the Greek, Near Eastern and African Worlds,” North-West University (Potchefstroom), 20 – 21 April 2017 (Paper read on 21 April)
- Haskins, S.L. and Kritzinger, J.P.K. “Naming the Nameless Woman of Jerome’s Vita Malchi.” Paper read at the Septuagint Society of South Africa Conference, University of Pretoria, 7 September 2017.
- Kilchör, B. 2017. Research Associate. “Wellhausen’s Five Pillars for the Priority of D over P/H: Can They Still be Maintained?”, paper read at Paradigm Change in Pentateuchal Research, International Conference at Staatsunabhängige Theologische Hochschule Basel, 16-18 March 2017.
- Potgieter, J.H. 2017. “Psalm 5 and the polarity between those who may stand before YHWH and those who may not.” Paper read at the SBL International Meeting, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 10 August 2017.
- Prinsloo, G.T.M. 2017. “Hebrew Bible Textual Criticism and the Dead Sea Scrolls: What not to expect from the Pesher Habakkuk (1QpHab). Paper read at the Qumran Conference, University of Pretoria, 7 September 2017.
- Prinsloo, G.T.M. 2017. “Justice as Thematic Thread in the Late Persian Redaction(s) of the Nebi’im and Ketubim with Specific Reference to the Book of the Twelve and the Psalter.” Paper read at the ProProphets and ProPsalm Conference, University of Pretoria, 31 August 2017.
- Schäder, J. 2017. “Justice vs Mercy: On the Problematic Classification of the Book of Jonah as Prophetic Literature.” Paper read at the ProProphets and ProPsalm Conference, University of Pretoria, 1 September 2017.
- Swart, G.J. 2017. “Creator and creation in the fragments of Aristobulus ‘of Paneas’.” Paper read at the International Society for the study of Deuterocaninical and Cognate Literature (ISDCL) conference, University of Cambridge (England), 18 July 2017.
- Swart, G.J. 2017. “The Septuagint between Socrates and Christianity: Exploring the intertexts of a philosopher.” Paper read at the Septuagint Society of South Africa Conference, University of Pretoria, 7 September 2017.
- Weber, B. 2017. Research Associate. Participation of „Paradigm Change in Pentateuchal Research“ (FAGAT), Riehen/Basel (Switzerland), 16.–18.III.2017. No paper delivered.
- Weber, B. 2017: Research Associate. Participation of „Theologie des Psalters: Internationales Psalmensymposion – in memoriam Frank-Lothar Hossfeld“, Bonn (Germany), 5.–7.IV.2017. Paper delivered (5.IV.2017): Von der Beherzigung der „Tora JHWHs“ (Ps 1,2) zur Darbringung der „Tehilla JHWHs“ (Ps 145,21). Erkundungen und Erwägungen zum Psalter als Lehre und Lob.
- Weber, B. 2017: Research Associate. Participation of the „Facharbeitsgruppe Altes Testament“ (FAGAT), Braunfels (Germany), 19.–21.II.2017. No paper delivered.
- Weber, B. 2017: Research Associate. Participation of the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literatur (SBL), Boston, MA, USA, 18.–21.XI.2017. Paper delivered (19.XI.2017): Aspects of a theology of the Book of Psalms (the Psalter) considered.
Local and international awards / scholarly recognition
- Prof Pauline Allen, research associate, received an Honorary Doctorate in Literature from the University of New England on the 27th of October 2017.