Postgraduate: MCom (Informatics) / MIT(Information Systems)
Brochure and Schedule for 2018
The Department offers both an MCom in Informatics and an MIT in Information Systems. The prerequisite for the MCom is a BCom (Honours) in Informatics or Information Systems, or the equivalent. The prerequisite for the MIT(IS) is a four-year degree in IT and a number of years' experience in the IT industry working as a software developer or systems/business analyst.
- For inquiries that are not answered in the Brochure, contact Mrs Rhona van der Merwe, [email protected].
- Application for MCom degree:[contact Mrs Nelie Bahula, firstname.lastname@example.org, 012 420 5279, EMS Building, Room 1-12.6
- Application for MIT (IS) degree: contact Mrs Dawn Taljaard, [email protected], 012 420 4095
The University's general regulations G.30 - G.44 are applicable, as well as the regulations of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences or Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology (see Yearbooks).
Administrative details & admission requirements (Master's studies)
- A prospective master's student must be in possession of a honours degree in the Information Technology field.
- An attainment of at least 65% (average of all the courses) for the honours degree (or equivalent) is required.
- Students who have been enrolled at UP in the year preceding the master's study apply for admission to the master's course in Informatics to Mrs Marie Muller (MCom) or Mrs Dawn Taljaard MIT(IS)). Kindly submit a cover letter, CV and complete academic record to her by post, e-mail or fax before 30 September.
- Students who have not been enrolled at UP in the year preceding the master's study, as well as students who have interrupted their studies, first have to apply for admission to University of Pretoria at the Client Services Centre by means of mail, the web or over the counter, before 30 September. A fee is payable with the submission of the application form. Please attach a CV and complete academic record to your application. After being approved by the Faculty Administration, your application will be forwarded to the Department for recommendation. Faculty Administration will inform the applicant in writing of the final result.
- International students must apply for admission before 31 July. They have to provide proof of SAQA accreditation, and either TOEFL/IELTS results:
The Master's degree
Topics for the thesis may be chosen from the research focus areas of the staff members of the Department that fall within the following broad areas:
Information Systems and the organization;
Information Systems and Education;
ICT for Sustainable Development.
The dissertation is typically a 35000 to 40000-word individual report of independent research under the guidance of a supervisor. The purpose of the dissertation is to demonstrate that:
The student can plan and execute research;
The student can interpret some practical context in terms of the theory presented in the courses and come to appropriate conclusions;
That the student can interpret and present his/her research findings.
Students are expected to hand in a publishable academic article of 5000-7000 words together with the dissertation for examination. The article will be submitted to an accredited journal under the names of the candidate and the supervisor(s) and the University of Pretoria owns the intellectual property rights.
Share this page
Last edited by Johanna GelderblomEdit