About the Department of Historical & Heritage Studies
The Department offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in two fields, namely; History and Heritage and Cultural Tourism.
Increasingly, students enrolling for degrees in Humanities, Economics and Law are taking
courses in History. This is a worldwide trend
which is fast catching on locally. Here are some
of the reasons why you should consider taking
courses in History:
- They contextualise your studies in all other subjects
- They provide you with essential historical background and perspective.
- They give you an understanding of the various global and local processes
- They enhance and supplement your chosen field of study
- They sharpen your analytical skills in reading and writing
- They are designed to highlight the key historical events that shaped humankind in South Africa, Africa, Europe and the world, which underlie all other developments.
Heritage and Cultural Tourism:
Tourism is the world’s number-one industry and the fastest developing enterprise in Africa.
A qualification in Heritage and Cultural Tourism provides students with the necessary skills to follow careers as tour guides, tour operators, entrepreneurs in the tourism industry and analysts determining tourism needs. They will also be able to take the lead as experts in the development of cultural tourism, the management of cultural events within the tourism milieu, the marketing of tourism, and the
teaching of tourism-related courses.
Share this page
Last edited by Ian MacqueenEdit