Important information about postgraduate fees
ALL POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
- There is no distinction in tuition fees between part-time and full-time studies.
RESEARCH MASTERS and DOCTORATES
- Registrations for research Masters and Doctorates will be levied an annual tuition fee, subject to a possible annual increase and will be payable for each year of registration.
HONOURS and MASTERS BY COURSEWORK
- Registrations for Honours and Masters by coursework degrees will be levied as per the tables per faculty, provided that the student completes the degree in the prescribed period.
NOT COMPLETED DEGREE WITHIN PRESCRIBED PERIOD
- Should a masters by research or doctoral degree not be completed in the prescribed period, the new annual fee structure applicable at that point in time will be applicable for any subsequent years of re-registration that are allowed.
Where a final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 15 February, the faculty should liaise with the finance department to have the fees adjusted. Any student who did not submit the final copy of the thesis/dissertation/mini-dissertation by 15 February, will have to register again. If the final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 31 March, a student will have to re-register and an administration fee (determined on an annual basis) will be levied. If the final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is not submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 31 March a student will have to re-register and tuition fees will be levied accordingly.
- Should a one-year master’s degree not be completed in one year, the annual fee applicable for that master’s degree will be charged annually from the second year onwards.
INTERRUPTION/LEAVE OF ABSENCE DURING STUDIES
- No interruption may occur in a postgraduate student’s registration for a postgraduate study programme. The student has to register every year even if they require a leave of absence for that year. For students who are in exceptional cases granted a period of leave of absence, will be levied only the annual initial registration fee for the year they are absent and will on their return be subject to the new annual tuition fee structure applicable for the year at that point in time.
TERMINATION of STUDIES
- Should a student completely terminate their studies before completion, a partial refund of the tuition fees for that year will be granted within the date parameters specified in the table “Discontinuation of Studies” . Written notice must be given to the SSC as soon as possible to prevent unnecessary fees being due.
- On discontinuation of studies, all outstanding fees become due immediately.
- Should a postgraduate student choose to take additional modules that are not part of the prescribed curriculum, they will pay the applicable module fee for those modules in addition to the prescribed curriculum costs.
GENERAL FEE INFORMATION
- Once a student has registered, his/her personal and own specific student account details, as well as information on possible rebates, can be found on the UP Student Portal (“Student Centre, Finances”).
- If you are a first-time user of the UP Student Portal, go to https:http://www.up.ac.za/portal; click on “New User” and enter your student number as username. Type in your ID/passport number and click on “Proceed”.
- Tuition fees do not include the cost of prescribed books, stationery, research costs or other study-related expenses.
- If a degree is completed mid-year, AND the student registers for a new degree in the same year, the relevant fees for the new degree are immediately payable on registration. This is due to ALL FEES that are not fully paid by the end of July are deemed as outstanding and will result in the student’s progress results being blocked for the previous degree passed and the new degree. The degree just completed will also have the graduation certificate withheld even if that degree’s fees are fully paid, but the full student’s account is not fully paid.
Disclaimer: These web pages contain information about regulations, policies, tuition fees, curricula and programmes of the University of Pretoria applicable at the time of printing. Amendments to or updating of the information in this publication may be effected from time to time without prior notification. The accuracy, correctness or validity of the information contained in this publication is therefore not guaranteed by the University at any given time and is always subject to verification. The reader is kindly requested, at all times, to verify the correctness of the published information with the University. Failure to do so will not give rise to any claim or action of any nature against the University by any party whatsoever.
Share this page
Last edited by Annemarie IskeEdit