Vacancy at the Centre for Human Rights: Project Co-ordinator / Researcher (Democracy and Transparency Unit)
11 January 2018
The University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy at the Centre for Human Rights (an academic department and a non-governmental organisation at the University):
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
Project Co-ordinator / Researcher, Democracy and Transpartency Unit - (One post) (12 month contract appointment) - Centre for Human Rights
FACULTY OF LAW
CENTRE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
DEMOCRACY AND TRANSPARENCY UNIT
PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR / RESEARCHER (ONE POST) (12 MONTH CONTRACT APPOINTMENT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful applicant will be responsible for co-ordinating projects and activities of the Democracy and Transparency Unit of the Centre for Human Rights. This includes co-ordination and liaison with the Pan African Parliament, as well as co-ordination of research, advocacy, training and capacity building activities on democracy, transparency and political participation in South Africa and across the African continent.
- A Master’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology or a related discipline;
- At least two years’ project management experience;
- At least two years’ experience in research, advocacy and/or capacity building on democracy, governance and transparency issues in a civil society or academic setting;
- Experience in fundraising;
- Experience in donor reporting and stakeholder management.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Outstanding attention to detail and professional diligence;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Knowledge and understanding of politics, public policy, democratic processes, transparency and other similar issues;
- Knowledge and understanding of the African regional human rights system;
- Ability to speak and write French fluently.
The successful applicant should be able to start as soon as possible but before 1 April 2018. This is a fixed-term contract position for an initial period of twelve months. Renewal of the contract is subject to satisfactory performance.
Applicants that are non-South African citizens must submit proof that they have legal permission to reside and work in South Africa.
All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: [email protected]
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A letter of motivation;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 30 January 2018
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr O Shyllon, Tel: (012) 420 4199
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2018, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
Share this page
Last edited by Yolanda BooyzenEdit