Facilities and Laboratories
Over and above the studios and lecturing venues available in the Department, students also have access to the following facilities:
The lab comprises 50 Dell workstation computers for the use of students who study in the Department of Architecture. This lab is also used for instruction in the following software: Autodesk REVIT, AutoCAD, Artlantis, Sketchup, and 2018 Twinmotion and other.
LASER CUTTING AND 3D PRINTING FACILITIES
This service is provided to students at designated hours throughout the week, enabling students to cut or 3D-print prototypes or final designs. The Department makes use of one A2 industrial laser cutter and one Zbuilder Ultra 3D printer. A Creaform 3D scanner completes the three-dimensional development and printing processes.
PRINTING LAB: HP PIXEL LAB
Students can print work on 80 gram or 120gram paper on one of the four HP printers available in the HP Pixel Lab. A printing manager oversees the printing processes and maintenance on these machines at set printing times.
The following resources are available in the Department of Architecture Reading Room:
- A selection of the latest local and international journals on architecture
- Interior architecture and landscape architecture
- A collection of books on design
- Materials and construction
- Reference works
- Product catalogues and samples
- Undergraduate and postgraduate thesis documents since 1949
- Two databases are available – TOBi (indexed journal articles since 1985)
- TOPi (index of archive documents and drawings in the collection of the Department).
These can be accessed on Sabinet as ArchUP and PlanUP. Also available are the UPSpace digital repository and AbleUP (the African Buildings and Landscapes Environment, with AbleSpace and AbleWiki).
Share this page
Last edited by Leon PienaarEdit