The Senate of the University, chaired by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, conducts its business under the management of the University Council and is accountable to Council for academic, research and community engagement matters. The functions of the Senate, as described in the Statute of the University, include, among others, the following:
- academic planning and development
- providing guidelines for the appointment and promotion of academic staff
- providing guidelines for the organisation, structures and administration of teaching, learning, research and community engagement at the University
- management and supervision of student evaluation
- quality assurance in respect of teaching, learning and research
- the establishment, amalgamation or closure of faculties, departments, institutes, bureaus, research units and centres
- the introduction or discontinuation of degrees, diplomas, programmes, curricula, subjects and courses
- determining curricula for degrees, diplomas, programmes and the content of subjects and courses
- the general admission policy of the University
- the management, operation and development of the library
- the conferring of honorary degrees, academic dress, graduation and diploma ceremonies
- the selection of candidates for the position of Chancellor, Principal and Vice-Principles
- to approve, together with Council, the language policy of the University, admission requirements for specific academic programmes, the number of students who may be admitted to a specific programme as well as the method of selection, the minimum admission requirements for readmission to the University and the refusal of students who do not comply with the minimum requirements.
The composition, meeting procedures, etc of the Senate are described in the Statute of the University.
Details on the various Senate committees and the mandate and terms of reference of each committee are provided in the Institutional Rules.
The Senate Executive usually meets before each Senate meeting to make recommendations to the Senate. The Senate may delegate its authority to the Senate Executive to finalise certain matters on its behalf.
Tel: +27 (0)12 420 3069
Fax: +27 (0)12 420 4587
Email: [email protected]
Share this page
Last edited by Srinivasu NadupalliEdit