Welcome to the Manie van der Schijff Botanical Garden
A botanical garden is a collection of living plants that is scientifically managed for the purposes of education, research, conservation and community service.
The Manie van der Schijff Botanical Garden currently has about 3 000 plant species in the collections, planted within grounds that cover approximately 3.5 hectares of the University's Hatfield west campus. The primary aim of the garden is to raise awareness of Southern Africa's indigenous flora through the acquisition and dissemination of botanical knowledge. This includes the provision of plant material for education and research purposes, the collection and propagation of rare and endangered species, as well as research into indigenous plant species with horticultural potential. The dissemination of this knowledge to the broader community is also considered to be very important and the Curators and staff of the Garden participate in teaching and outreach activities both within the University and the greater community.
The Garden had its beginnings as far back as 1924 when Pavetta
species were planted on the campus for research purposes. The real impetus came in the 1930s with Berend Elbrecht, a man with a huge passion and enthusiasm for Southern African flora who's legacy lives on in the many large trees and cycad specimens that were planted during his time at the University. In 1986 the garden was named after Prof. Manie van der Schijff to honour the contributions that he made towards the development of the Garden. The Garden is run by a Garden Committee which is responsible for formulating and implementing policy.
Mr Jason Sampson
Office: Greenhouse 1-4, Main Campus
Tel: +27 (0)12 420 4274
Mr. Philip Rousseau
Office: Nursery – Experimental Farm 1-2
Tel: +27 (0)12 420 6031
Share this page